Chapter Forty-two

I received a call from an unknown number on Saturday. As I was in the middle of the event, I rejected the call. Later I received a text from him with that unknown number. 

JC : This is my new number - I lost my phone. 

I only saw his message after the whole event ended and I was dead beat and in Jia Zheng's car with a few others heading back to the studio. We needed to transport some equipment and files back to the studio. Actually I saw his message earlier but as I was busy I didn't really took notice of it and parked it aside especially since it was from an unknown number. Now that I'm reading the message again, I could register it. That's why he didn't text or call me for the whole week ! He lost his phone - darn. 

Me : Sorry! I have been busy whole day - we had a live event 

JC : I saw

Me : You saw? 

JC : It was broadcast live

Me : Oh ya, lol 

JC : Seems like a great team and great fun 

Me : It was ! 

Why does he still sound so grumpy? 

Me : How did you lost your phone? 

JC : No idea to be honest

Me : Oh..

He's still not talking a lot. 

Me : Busy? How's filming? 

JC : It's okay. As usual. 

He's really not talking much.

Me : Are you okay? 

JC : I'm not feeling quite well, I'm going to rest for the night

Me : Oh - okay - rest well.. 

He is really not himself. Maybe because he's not feeling well. I wonder if he's sick, and how sick he was - maybe I should ask Zhu-jie? 

"You okay?" Jia Zheng asked when we headed out from the studio and to his car where this time we are going home, finally. 

"Huh?" I gave him a dazed look. 

"You look lost," he chuckled. "Tired?"

I smiled. "Ya - I guess I'm overwhelmed by today." 

He smiled back. "It's your first. That's why. But you'll get used to it, don't worry," he chuckled. 

"Mmm," I nodded. So much so that I even forgot about the seat belt and he had to put it on for me. "Thanks.." I mumbled. 

"Is something bothering you?" he asked, with concern, as he looked at me. 

"Huh - oh - no - I'm fine, let's go," I told him. And then he started driving. 

I didn't speak. And so we drove in silence. Until after a while, he spoke up again. 

"Everything alright between you and JC?" 

"Huh?" I looked over at him. We have stopped at the traffic so he looked back at me. 

"I saw you texting just now - just thought maybe it's JC... sorry to probe," he apologized. 

"It's okay."

"So, everything okay?" he asked again when I didn't reply.

"Ya," I nodded with a smile. "I'm just tired." There's something about Jia Zheng. Maybe it's his profession. He can read faces expressions very well and sometimes I feel so bare under his gaze..