Chapter Twenty-three

He was gone again by six. But this time, I stirred.

"It's still early. Go back to sleep," he said gently to me as he kissed me on my forehead. I merely grunted.

He made breakfast for me again. Today, it was my favourite congee.

I had a soak in the tub and chilled out for a while before heading out. I only need to get there at around three. So I went to explore the neighbourhood. There's a zoo, an aquarium, a carrefour supermarket. Of course I'm not going to the zoo or aquarium so I went to this park across from the gymnasium which in itself was a huge place. It's a weekday so there's hardly anybody except for a few seniors taking their strolls.

There was a quiet and serene lake, one called the Lotus pond and cute little bridges which I stopped to take pictures of.

I walked around the park, hearing the soft nature calls until the weather got warmer mid noon and I detoured back towards the gymnasium thinking to find a mall to hide in.

And I received a text from him.

JC : Where are you..?

Me : I'm exploring this park across from the gymnasium

And I sent him a pic I took of the pond and the bridge.

JC : Nice

JC : I'm on my way to the gymnasium actually

Me : So early?

I looked at my watch. It was just half past one, two more hours to the event.

JC : Ya, to prepare.. have lunch.. make up stuff..

Me : Oh..

JC : Do you want to come over?

Me : Eh? What do I do there..?

JC : You can accompany me

Me : That's so weird..

JC : Not at all..

Me : Nah.. I think I'll go in with the crowd

JC : Okay 😔

Me : 😚

Me : See you later

Of course I would love to see him earlier but there sure be all his crew and staff, then how is he or Zhu-jie going to explain? That I'm a makeshift intern? A friend? Even if they were sworn to secrecy, you can't stop people from speculations and gossips. And I don't want that.

I went to Carrefour and was tempted by all the different kinds of local snacks. I'm a snacks girl which is why I need to go to the gym. But I only bought a few packs, can't squeeze everything into my backpack. And later the security might think I'm there for a picnic.

When I headed to the gymnasium at two forty-five, there was already a big crowd of fans, with flowers, placards and banners and everybody came with somebody. I seem to be the only one alone.

I passed through the security check, though not without a scrutinizing look from the guard but luckily no questions.

I followed the line into the gymnasium. My seat was somewhere in the middle block by the aisle, a small view of the stage but they had the screen.

Finally it was time. Even before he stepped in, the fans were screaming. When he appeared, they got up to their feet waving their placards as high in the air to get his attention. I had to try and find a gap between hands to see the stage and him.

He wore a simple black suit black tie. As he walked in, he was filming with his phone but he smiled and waved to the audience and gave finger hearts as well.