Chapter Twenty-four

We did not have sex.

We just went to bed as usual. And he left at six as usual. And he made breakfast as well. I wonder what time he woke up in order to do everything and still leave by six.

I finished breakfast quite early because I had briefly looked over what I can do, and I thought I'll head over to the Ming tombs.

I went to a local tour agency and enquired about a day tour. There was just one, and about to set off. So I joined a couple from Spain on a day tour out of the city.

We were headed over to the Juyongguan Great Wall which was two hours drive away. Though I've been to the Great Wall, the guide promised me that every part is different.

Juyong Pass was constructed with structures of various functions ensuring logistic supplies and effective management and governance. In the Yuan Dynasty, the Juyong Pass functioned as a major traffic artery from Beijing to Inner Mongolia. From the fourteenth to the early twentieth century, a large number of temples and shrines of Buddhist, Taoist, and Confucianist origin were built in the Juyong Pass.

In the car, other than the guide feeding us with interesting stories and information, some I already knew and some fresh, I also chatted with the couple. They thought I was a solo traveler, which in a way I was.. but I explained that I was here to visit my boyfriend who was working.

We arrived around ten. And the guide took us up the Wall, exploring the different towers. He was right. Still part of the wall but different from what I visited with JC. I took pictures and sent to him.

We went to a local restaurant for lunch, which I find the food just so-so. The dinner JC bought back last night was way better. That reminds me, the leftovers are still in the fridge.

After the lunch, we continued to the Sacred Way of the Ming Tombs.

Despite not generally being considered a 'must-see' like the Great Wall or the Forbidden City, the Ming Tombs can be an incredibly rewarding place to visit on a quiet day in fine weather.

We began with a stroll along the Spirit Way between its solemn guard of stone beasts and officials, before exploring the first and largest of the tombs, the Yong Ling, boasting architecture that easily rivals the Forbidden City.

Next, we moved on to the Dingling Tomb at the Ming Tombs. Construction of Dingling Tomb started in 1584 and was finished in 6 years later. In 1620, Emperor Wanli was buried here with his two empresses. At Ding Ling we can descend into the tomb itself, though the experience isn't as exciting as it sounds, being mostly empty and without ornament.

Aside from the Zhao Ling, the other ten tombs are fenced off, best viewed from afar when standing atop the burial mound citadels at each of the three accessible tombs. It's sad that only three tombs can be visited although grand plans have been put forward to restore and open all thirteen to the public.

We spent a good whole afternoon exploring the place because it was so huge. We left around four to beat the peak hour traffic. We reached back to the city around six, at the couple's hotel because I didn't want to give my address. The couple happened to stay in Wangfujing area so it was convenient.

JC : What time will you be back?

Me : I just reached back to Wangfujing..

JC : I'll cook dinner tonight

Eh..?

Me : What time will you end work?

JC : I'm already home

EH!!

Me : How come??

JC : Work ended early today 😁