Chapter Thirteen

I landed at five past eight. My heart was pounding even before the plane came to a complete stop.

I took my time to walk out, deliberating. I have no luggage to collect. I just need to walk through immigrations. For the locals they just get a straight pass. But because I'm a foreigner, I have to go through all the formalities. And that took some time.

Then finally, I was at the last gate, the last barrier to the outside world, where Ken would be waiting. He told me he would be waiting for me right outside the arrival gate.

I took a big, deep breath.

Then I stepped out of the gate, ready to face the world.

Outside, a whole row, whole crowd of people waited behind the barrier, family members waiting for their loved ones returning home or hotel people wanting to fetch their guests. I looked around. But there were too many faces and I didn't find the one I'm looking for. I walked further out, avoiding to stand in the center of attention. Then I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned.

"Casey!"

It was him! My heart almost stopped.

He wore a plain black t-shirt and grey faded jeans. He wore a black bucket hat and a white mask. He made himself so low profile and blend in with the crowd, that's why I never saw him.

"Hey!" I grinned at him.

"Welcome to Beihai," he said. "Is that all you have?" he asked when he saw only a backpack on my back.

"Ya," I nodded.

"Okay, come - this way, follow me," he told me. So I followed him.

We walked out of the airport, towards the open air carpark across the road. His car was a white BYD SUV. Like before, he opened the door for me first.

"Give me your bag, I'll put it behind first," he said as I was removing my bag to get in.

"Oh.."

"Do you need anything from your bag first?"

"Huh? Eh, I don't think so.. I got my phone with me." I felt for my phone. It was in my jeans back photo. I took it before I sit in.

He put my back at the back, then walked over to the driver's seat. He sat in, pulled the seatbelt across.

"Have you had your dinner?"

"I ate a sandwich earlier..." my stomach growled. He always pick the right time to complain.

Ken heard it too. He chuckled. "Sounds like your stomach doesn't agree with you."

Darn..

I grinned sheepishly. "Well, I am a little hungry..." My stomach growled again.

He chuckled as he removed his mask. "He still doesn't agree.."

I grinned.

"Well," he said as the car started moving. "Before you go to your hotel, let's have dinner first.. though maybe you have to call it a late dinner."

"You don't have to -" I told him.

"Well, my mom has invited you over for dinner actually."

"Huh?"

"She has prepared some dishes.. local dishes."

"But, haven't she had dinner yet..?" It was like almost nine!

"My family tends to eat dinner late."

"Hmph.." I don't quite believe but I didn't want to push further. Then the next moment of truth hit me. Going to his house? Meeting his parents? Oh my freaking gosh..