Chapter Thirty-nine

Eva and Sammi were amused with my after work activities recording at the animation studio. In fact they were impressed especially after Eva told her boyfriend. Apparently he've heard of this industry - voice dubbing. He has a good friend who does similar work too. I might even bump into his friend.

Thanks to my recording schedules, which now I go in about two evenings regularly, because a project takes about one to two months to complete. Our scripts are not fully complete. Usually the writer will still be writing as we record or doing revisions as we go along. Sometimes even when I don't have recording, I would also pop in, if Jia Zheng is recording. And because I'm more occupied these days, I've stopped harping and waiting for JC's texts and calls. Sometimes I even missed them - and I think he's not quite happy about it. 

I'm not sure what's his take about me doing this. He seems happy yet unhappy. Happy because like he said, he's happy as long as I'm happy. He's not happy maybe because I'm getting closer with Jia Zheng, and neglecting him at times. Whenever he used to return to Beijing, I would try to plan to spend the weekend there. But these days, weekends I'm busy too at the studio so I don't make any more trips to Beijing. Nor do I harp on him coming to Shanghai. Don't get me wrong, I still love him very much but just, now my life don't revolve around him only. I've found something else to keep me occupied. 

My mom and sis turned up early June and stayed in a hotel. They visited my place and was convinced that it wouldn't fit them. They were here for four days and three days over to Beijing which I took leave to go to Beijing with them. But when in Shanghai, they went out their own. I gave them some recommendations and directions to follow. My mom didn't quite like the food and complains about it. My sis of course, complains to me, about our mom being a drag. But we all know all she was. 

On our flight out to Beijing, I finally mentioned to her about JC. 

"Mummy - since we are going to Beijing, I'd like you to meet someone as well," I told her. She looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "My boyfriend."

"Oh." She didn't seem at all surprised though. 

"We've been together for a year or so now."

"He's from Beijing?"

"Not exactly. His hometown is Beihai. But he is based in Beijing, though he flies around for work." 

"How did you get to know him?"

"I actually met him in Jeju last year when I went to Jeju remember?" I chuckled. 

"So that's why you moved to Shanghai?"

"Moving to Shanghai is company's arrangement," I lied. "It just so happens that way. Anyway, he's hardly in Shanghai, only sometimes."

"So how do you meet him? He flies to Shanghai?"

"We don't meet very often because he's really very busy. And he goes everywhere. Sometimes he comes to Shanghai or I fly down to Beijing for the weekend. But not every weekend."

"What does he work as?"

Ah, here comes the big question. 

"He works in the entertainment industry..." I said slowly, and softly, in case people nearby hears us. "He is a celebrity."

My sister's eyes widened. "A celebrity?"

"Shhhh!" I hushed her. "He is quite famous here. And we are keeping it a secret."

"A celebrity as in an actor?" she asked quietly.

I nodded. "He is an actor, singer, dancer, basically a star. Actually, we passed by quite a few of his posters as we walked," I chuckled.