Chapter Twenty-one

The wretched alarm clock rang at four. I almost threw my phone at the wall. I groaned.

Beside me, I heard another groan. I smiled. I wasn't the only one feeling lazy.

I rocked my body up to seating.

Last night, or rather, just a few hours ago, we discussed and said to get up at four because Zhu-jie was coming to pick us at five. One hour should be enough time to get ready.

I pulled him up.

"Good morning," he mumbled. His bed hair makes him look adorable. He leaned in to give me a quick peck.

Argh.. I shrunk back. I haven't brush my teeth!

He chuckled.

I got off the bed and went to get ready. He too followed a few seconds after.

Both of us were done before five. We wore matching caps, the one we both bought in Jeju. Actually he wore it first then I went to find mine and put it on. He grinned. Then he put on his mask. Actually I'm thinking, covering up so much is likely to draw attention than to avoid recognition.

Anyway, we went down to the basement carpark hand in hand.

"Good morning," he greeted Zhu-jie. She had already arrived when we got down. I wonder what time she got here. I greeted her as well.

"Good morning," she said. "Do you have to be so couple obvious?" she raised an eyebrow. I blushed while JC grinned. He let me get into the car first.

"You can take a nap first," JC told me once the car started moving. "It's a long ride." But I felt bad for doing that to Zhu-jie.

JC did fell asleep. And since I was bored, I also closed my eyes and fell asleep.

When I woke up, it was daylight and we were out of the city. There were no more buildings just fields and stretch of greenery, no more city traffic but we were on the highway traveling fast speed.

JC was still sleeping so I just looked out of the window.

Soon I could see the snaking long wall of that majestic great wall in the distance, in the midst of the fog. It must be chilly..

We finally arrived after some two hours drive. I have to applaud Zhu-jie for driving non-stop.

JC woke up by then.

Before we got off, Zhu-ge handed us a sandwich each and a bottle of juice.

"There's no proper food place here. Eat this first. We'll have a proper meal after you come back. How long will you take you reckon?"

"Two hours?" JC replied. "Or will it be more?"

"I think two hours thereabout," she nodded.

We finished our makeshift breakfast and get ready to head out. Zhu-jie remained in the car.

"Are you not coming with us?" I asked her.

"Nah, I'm not up for climbing. My bones will break." She was rather a big sized person, somewhat fat. "Besides I don't want to be a light bulb." I blushed while JC chuckled. So we said goodbye to her and left. We each brought a bottle of water with us.

"Have you been here before?" I asked him. Even though it was still early, there were many people going up the wall already. They looked like the local people and they are not young. But I'm awed by their energy and stamina.

"School trip," he chuckled. "Most of these places are part of school trips. They make sure we know our own histories."

"Of course."