Chapter Fourteen

I was too excited. I actually woke up before my alarm rang. It was still pitch dark, or actually, because of the blackout curtains.

The room had been very comfortable. I fell asleep the moment my head hit the pillow. Either that or I must be very tired.

What should I wear today? That's the question I kept thinking as I brush my teeth.

What a silly question.. because I only packed two days' clothes. A blouse and a pair of jeans, and a dress, just in case. I have no idea where he'll be taking me. I would prefer jeans if there's much walking. But since I brought a dress, I might as well wear it. It's just a very casual looking dress so it won't be too odd. And it's not too short or low cut.

I was down at the lobby at seven forty because I didn't want to be late.

And he was on time too. At exactly seven forty five. His white SUV drove up the driveway. The porter had initially thought I needed a taxi and was going to hail one for me when I stopped him. I told him I was waiting for someone.

I got into the car myself, before he could unbelt and get off to open the door for me. Anyway it was the porter who opened and closed the door for me.

"Good morning," he greeted me. He had his mask on.

"Good morning," I smiled.

"Have you waited long?" he asked.

"No, I just came down."

"The place is not too far," he told me as we drove off. "How was the hotel?"

"Excellent. I slept very well. I don't normally sleep so well when I travel," I chuckled.

He chuckled, "I think you are too tired out."

"Could be."

The place was really not too far. After a few turns and traffic junctions, we arrived. It was a shophouse and already I saw a crowd of people waiting outside. He parked along the road across the shop.

"Woah, it's really popular!" I remarked as we got off.

"Yes, and they don't take reservations."

"Then?" I thought he said he made a reservation..

"The boss is a family friend," he grinned.

Oh.. special favour.

We walked up and the aunty taking orders at the door recognised him right away.

"Ah Xiao-jian!"

"Aunty Lan," he greeted back.

"Go in, go in, you know where," she said and smiled at me as I followed him in. Inside, it was bustling with activity as the servers busied hurrying around. I have to try not to get into anybody's path. We came to a room and he opened the door to go in. It was a private room for a table of ten. Ten...? Are we expecting people? His parents?

He relaxed once we got inside. "Here we are. It's always a chaos in the morning," he chuckled.

"Are we.." I asked hesitantly as I sat down. "It's a big table.."

"This is the only private room they have," he said.

"Oh.. are your parents joining us?"

"My parents? Oh no, my dad's off for work and my mom.. she should be out taichi with her friends," he chuckled.

"Oh.." his dad has to work so early on weekends..?

Just then an uncle came in.

"Xiao-jian!"