Cheering Up Erika

KARRY'S POV

  As I walked up the stairs, I couldn't believe that Erika had been bullied. Immediately, I was brought back to when I was bullied myself. It took me a long time to get to the place that I was at now, but I did believe it was important for me to be there for my daughter. Erika was too young to even be bullied, but I guess these things never started at a certain age.

  However, Dick let me know that Erika was up now, and I thanked him. Then, I walked into Jason and I's shared bedroom to see Erika lying down. Immediately, I could see her tears from where I was standing. Once she saw me, she hid her face in the covers. I walked over to her side before I pulled the covers down. Immediately, she crawled into my lap before she cried on my leg.

  She said,"Mommy, please don't hit me. I didn't do anything. I..I don't want to be in trouble."

  I shushed her before I said to her,"I'd never hit you. Erika, I know you didn't do anything, honey. Your father told me what happened, but you're not in trouble. You're not. I just wanted to comfort you. Is that okay?"

  Erika nodded, and she held on to my leg as she said to me,"The other girls said that...that my hair is ugly, and... and I could never have hair like their hair. Then, Sharon said that I would never be as smart as the other girls."

  I ran my fingers through Erika's hair as I told her,"Erika, listen to me. You are mixed. You have amazing hair. You have unique hair. Who cares if your hair isn't like the other girls' hair? Your hair is irreplaceable, but you have to own it. You must confident and know that you are different. Erika, you don't need to be like every other girl in your class. You know you are the smartest one in that class, so don't listen to anything those mean girls tell you. Mommy knows how amazing you are, okay? I'll always be here to tell you just that. Always. You're my child, so don't be like everyone else. Don't even be like me. Be yourself."

  I pulled Erika up to wipe her face before I laid down with her. Immediately, she wrapped her arms around my neck before she snuggled into me. I held her in my arms before Jason walked in. I gave him a thumbs up, and he got in on Erika's right side. He held her, too. I knew Erika would need some time to get over this, but at least Jason and I would be here to help her.