Chapter 81 The Envious

"You can't change what people are, without destroying what they were."

-The Butterfly Effect

Emma

"Will you tell me about the other groups?" I ask. When I woke up, Rachel was there and Blake and Burns were both gone. I don't worry that much anymore. As long as Blake is with him, he'll be fine.

Rachel is sitting against the wall with her arms around her knees, looking like she wants to be anywhere but here. She looks at me annoyed, but then sighs and shrugs. "I guess you'll find out anyway. There's three other groups that we found so far. Gail's a bit further to the East. There's twelve of them. No, eleven since Ellen moved to our group. Max has a group almost as big as ours. There's eighteen people. They're located in a bunker down South. And finally there's Russell with seven people, though Carlos might move there soon. He has a thing for Cindy."

There are still so many humans? "Do you think we'll find more people?" I ask, "I mean... when there's four groups already..."

Rachel's face drops. "I don't know." She hesitates. "I keep hoping we'll find some family or friends, but no one's been that lucky so far. Well, except Kelsey. One of her cousins is in Max' group."

I sigh. "Lucky her." I still miss my friends.

"Yeah," Rachel agrees.

She's a completely different person without Cynthia. I wonder if this is because she doesn't have her friend or because of the invasion, but it makes things a bit easier, even if we don't become friends. At least we can be normal around each other.

She glances at me. "You really like that alien huh."

"You can trust him," I answer, "he won't betray us."

"You seem awfully sure," Rachel says.

"He saved my life, Rachel."

Rachel snorts. "Everyone wants to save your life. That alien, Blake.."

"Is this about Blake?" I spit.

"No!" Rachel growls and she crosses her arms. "He saved me too, you know."

I know they came here together, but not much more than that. "Will you tell me about it?" I ask softy.

It's silent for a while. Rachel plucks at one of the blankets on my mattress. She has a vacant look in her eyes. "My father was a Seeker," she whispers.

I blink at her. "What?"

"My mom was one of them too and I didn't even know." She start to cry. "He drove the bus that day when they raided the school. And the entire time he kept smiling at me, telling me how perfect things were going to be." She wipes at her eyes with angry, childish movements.

I don't know what to say. I saw the busses leave, but it didn't cross my mind... "How.. how did you get away?" I ask.

Rachel takes a deep breath. "I told him I needed to use the bathroom and then I ran. I went back to school , but there was no one left. I didn't know where to go. I couldn't go home when my mom was one of those creatures too. So I hid under the stairs. That's when Blake found me."

She was there? Blake was there? For a moment I can only stare. Blake never mentioned going back to the school, only leaving town. When did he go back? Where was I? I didn't see either of them. Had I already left? Could I have been there with them, with the other humans, all this time?

But then I wouldn't have met Burns.

I sigh. "I'm sorry about your parents."

"Yeah," she says, "me too."

I think this might be the first normal conversation we've ever had.

The curtain moves and Burns and Bake enter the space. It's really crammed with the four of us. "It doesn't worry me though," Burns says to Blake. Apparently they were discussing something before.

"I don't think they'll listen to your plan though," Blake answers.

"I know," Burns says, "but it's the only way to preserve the Soul."

"They're not going to care about that, Burns."

"What's going on?" I ask.

Blake looks at me. "the others want to go on a raid today. They plan on bringing back a Soul. Burns says they need equipment from the Souls. Equipment we don't have."

"A cryotank," Burns clarifies.

I nod. It makes sense. He placed Sky into one too. "But you can only get those at a Shipping Center, right? Or a Healing Facility." I remember the rows in the Facility where Storm works. And the ones in the Center where we left behind Sky.

"The others aren't going to risk it," Bake states.

"I know," I mutter.

"Why does it matter?" Rachel says annoyed, "why should we care what happens to those creatures?"

"They're living beings!" I snap at her.

"So are we!" she casts back, "and they don't show us much consideration! They don't care what happens to us!"

"That doesn't mean we have to be like that," I say.

"I agree," Bake says.

"Of course you do," Rachel hisses.

"Grow up, Rachel," Blake tells her.

"You shouldn't argue," Burns tries to calm things down.

Blake sighs. "I'm going to talk to Nate about this."

We follow him towards the kitchen area and stand by as Blake explains things to Nate.

"We can't just walk into a Soul facility," Nate says with a serious face.

"But Burns can," I say.

"Like hell he can!" Will is suddenly next to us, his eyes ablaze with anger. "So that's what this was all about? Letting him go so he can betray us?"

"He's not going to betray us," I say.

"No you're right," Will answers, "because he is not leaving here."

"But..."

"You listen to me, girl. We didn't want him here in the fist place, but since he is, this is where he'll stay. Or I really will kill him next time." He glares at Burns threateningly and walks away with Milo, Tom and Marcus.

I look at Nate, but he gives me an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry Emma. We can't risk it. Not because of Burns, but because it's too dangerous. I can't ask the others to risk their lives for an alien being, Sorry.

He turns to Burns. "I really am."

"I know," Burns says, but his face is a shade paler.

I don't know what to hope for. That they manage to bring someone back or for things to fail. I don't want Burns to be placed in a situation where he has to hurt one of his own kind. But if he doesn't take out the Soul to try and bring back the human, what will they do to him?

"Let's have some breakfast," Blake says quietly. When Burns doesn't react, Blake gently pushes him on a chair. He grits his teeth annoyed. "Foolish Will," he mutters.

"At least we'll have some peace and quiet for a while," Nate sighs. He sits down with us. "You're on laundry duty today," he tells me, "Rachel will show you the ins and outs."

I glance at Rachel, but she doesn't object.
"Burns, you can go with Logan. We need to clear some space for when the others come back."

I stiffen. He's going to leave Burns unprotected?

"Don't looks so scared, Emma," Nate says, "Logan is alright. And I'll be close by. You okay with that, Burns?"

Burns nods quietly.

"Good," Nate says, "let's go then." He stands up and Burns follows him.

I watch him concerned. I don't like where things are going.