Chapter 58 The knight in shining armor

“So we drove on towards death

In the cooling twilight.”

-the Great Gatsby

Emma

A small breeze is playing with my hair and somewhere at the edge of my consciousness there is an engine roaring.

A car.

We’re driving.

And that realization wakes up my other senses and the memories of earlier events.

I can’t see.

And someone is holding me.

My body stiffens and a panic sets in. What’s going on?

“You awake, squirky?” a deep voice says close to my ear.

I take a sharp breath. It’s not possible. It can’t be him.

But I heard his voice before, back in the cave.

“Blake?” my voice rasps.

“It’s gonna be fine, Ems. Don’t worry.”  He rubs my arm and suddenly I realize he is the one holding me. I’m sitting in his lap.

Heat rushes to my face. I turn my head to look at him, but I still can’t see a thing and I realize I’m blindfolded.

My hand moves to remove it, but Blake grabs my wrist.

“Don’t,” he says softly, “it’s just a precaution. You can take it off when we’re at the base.”

“Base?” I ask, but he doesn’t answer.

“Are you thirsty?” he asks instead and he holds a bottle against my lips.

I greedily gulps down the water. “Thanks.”

“Is your shoulder bothering you?” Blake asks, “I have to say, that alien stuff is amazing. The wound was gone in seconds.”

I flinch. “Burns?” I ask and I try to move around, but Blake tightens his grip.

“He’s fine,” Blake says, “don’t’ worry.”

“Where is he?” I demand.

“He’s in the other car with Nate and Rob. He’ll be fine. Nate is very knightly. If your friend really saved him, nothing’s gonna happen to him.”

But his words don’t comfort me and I struggle to escape his hold.