Chapter 84 The Powerless

Man is not what he thinks he is, he is what he hides.

-Andre Malraux

Emma

Two weeks. That's how long it has been since I saw daylight. That's how long we've been down here. The others haven't returned from their raid yet. Sophie told me it might be some time, depending on where they were headed and how often they need to hide. I don't know if I should feel worried or relieved.

I know they want to bring back Soul. I'm just not sure if I want them to succeed.

Things did become a little easier. I can't say they fully trust Burns yet, but at least he's not being treated as a pariah anymore. Some are even on friendly terms with him. Logan and Carlos and Sophie.

Kelsey and Kim started a careful conversation with him yesterday. And Blake is an ever present shadow, though I still think it's more for my sake than for Burns.

I don't complain about it. It's somewhat comforting to know he's there.

"I hope they bring some new clothes as well," Sophie sighs while leaning back against the wall, "these are getting old and worn."

"I doubt the boys will have that on their list of priorities," Rachel answers. She wipes her forehead. "I need a shower."

"Philip and Evan are still busy fixing the filter," I tell her. Rachel and I are still on rocky soil, but at least we're having normal conversations now. I lean back and close my eyes. Today has been hard. I'm starting to feel the effect from the lack of sunlight. I'm constantly tired.

"What are you three lying around for, slacking off?"

I open my eyes at the sound of Blake's voice. He's grinning.

"For your information," Sophie replies, "we have been working all day, while you have been lazing around at the look-out."

The look-out, as I have only found out yesterday, is in the tunnel where we arrived that first day. They take shifts watching the surface, looking for Seekers or wandering Souls, and whenever a group is on a raid, they're waiting for their return.

"Any sign of them?" Rachel asks and I bite my lip waiting for his answer.

Blake shakes his head. "Not yet. But they were supposed to take a detour to meet up with Russell, so it may be a while."

"We're running out of stock," Rachel says.

"We'll manage a few more days," Blake assures her. He drops down across from us. "Nate is planning a leisure night this evening." He looks at me. "You think you can bring your guitar this time, squirky?"

"Only if you find someone else to play it," I say.

Sophie eyes me curiously. "Why are you so set against playing yourself? It can't be that bad."

"If you play as good as you to the piano, then it's not bad at all," Blake says and I glare at him. I remember all too well he was there at that party where my mother forced me to play the piano as a tribute to the host.

"I don't like being in the spotlight," I say.

"Yet you played or Burns."

"That's... different," I mutter.

Blake tilts his head. "Why is that?" he teases.

"It just is!" I growl at him, but he only smirks and looks towards his left. I follow his gaze and see Burns approaching us. "Hi," I greet when he sits down next to me.