Chapter 97 The Last Man Standing

We have it in our power to start the world over again.

-Thomas Paine

Burns

There is dust everywhere. My back hurts and my head throbs from the rocks that fell on me when I pushed Kelsey away.

I groan as I lift myself from her. Her eyes are closed and she's not moving, but I can hear her breathing. Slowly I sit up.

"Kelsey."

Only now I notice Will is trapped in with us, but for once I'm not his priority. He kneels down next to Kelsey and brushes the hair out of her face.

"Careful," I rasp, "she might have broken something."

He glances at me briefly, but doesn't comment. The muscles in his jaw are tense, but he sits back and refrains from touching her.

Suddenly we hear muffled voices from the other side of the wall. I move closer and call out. "Emma?!" I press my hand against the rock. "Kelsey is hurt! We need the Heal and Clean. You need to hurry!"

There's an answer from the other side, but it's barely audible. I repeat my words, but louder this time. If we can't hear them then they probably can't hear us either.

I sigh and lean back against the wall. We don't have the flashlight anymore and it's dark and musky in the tunnel.

"Why did you protect her?" Will breaks the silence. His voice is still cold while speaking to me, but he sounds curious.

I blink confused. "Those rocks would have crushed her," I answer.

He looks up at me now. "I know that," he says through his teeth, "I mean, why did you protect her?"

"Why wouldn't I?" I ask.

"It would be one less human for you to deal with."

"Yes," I say calmly, "that's true." I dot even bother defending myself. He has already made up his mind about me.

Will keeps watching me cautiously. I know the silver must be vibrant in my eyes in this darkness. I can see it reflect against the opposite wall. What is he afraid of? There's not much I can do to him. Or does he believe I can just jump out of this body and into his?

There's a sigh coming from Kelsey and Will and I both turn to her.

"Kels?" Will asks.

Kelsey stirs and her eyes flutter open.

"Careful," Will says, "are you hurt anywhere? Can you sit up?" He helps her into a sitting position, but she groans and vomits.

"Sorry," she mutters.

"That's okay. Don't worry about it. " His voice sounds completely different when he's talking to Kelsey.

"Maybe you should lie down again," I say carefully.

Will grits his teeth, but Kelsey offers a small smile. "Yeah," she whispers, "that might be a good idea." She slowly lowers herself to the ground again. "Thank you, Burns," she says, "for protecting me."

"Anytime," I nod.

Will takes off his shirt and places it underneath Kelsey's head to make her more comfortable. When his hand retreats it comes off red. "You're bleeding," he states.

"I must have hit my head," Kelsey says.

"I told Emma to bring medicine," I say, "once the others break us out of here, we can have it treated."