Chapter 113 The Chess Player

How does evil come to exist in the world?

- unknown

Patt

I'm staring at the remains of what used to be a house. And not just any house. This was the house of my friends.

It's all just ashes now.

Squatting down in the dirt of what was once a kitchen, I touch a hand to the ground. So many memories. How many nights have I spent at the kitchen table, dining here with Carmen. With Sky.

Sky.

A frown settles on my face and I can't stop feeling worried. She had planned to visit with her partner Burns. Only two bodies were discovered once the fire department gained control. Test results proved they belonged to Rain and Storm. It is assumed they went peacefully in their sleep seeing they were found in their bed. Smoke inhalation. Carbon monoxide poisoning.

It must have happened right after Burns and Sky have visited. I wonder why they only stayed for such a short time. Sky isn't the kind of person to abandon friends.

I dial her number again, but again the recording informs me the number is out of service, like it has been for the past year.

The only time she called was from a payphone and that was months ago. It's like she's a completely different person.

I shake my head and think back on our run-in a few days ago. She had seemed a little nervous, but I didn't think much of it. It must have been a little weird for her. Rain had told me Sky had a little crush on me before she left to find this Burns Living Flowers. Meeting me again must have been awkward.

Still, something doesn't sit right with me. I can't put my finger on it.

"Seeker Patt?"

I look up at my co-worker, Seeker Reef. "Yes, Seeker Reef?"

She clears her throat. "I only wanted to express my sympathy. I understand they were your friends."

I nod and rise to my feet. "Yes, Seeker Reef, you are correct. Thank you for your kindness."

She nods at me and returns to the car. We are supposed to go on rounds, but I requested we stop here. I still can't believe they are gone. It is a great loss. Not only for me personally, but also for the community. We've lost two Healers.

"It's a terrible thing."

An elderly lady is standing at my shoulder. She shakes her head sadly. "This used to happen frequently when my host was still younger, but ever since we came to Earth, fires are a rare occasion." She lets out a sigh. "They were always so careful, these two. Such a tragedy."

"You knew them well?" I ask.

She nods. "Lived across from them for as long as I can remember. Lovely pair, always ready to help." She sighs again. "And so tragic that it had to happen right after they had friends over."

"Yeah," I say.

"It's too bad you weren't here, Seeker. That one girl, she was your friend too, wasn't she? She used to come over all the time. Haven't seen her in a while though." She smiles. "It's nice to see she's made new friends. One of 'em must have been her partner."

It takes a moment for the meaning of her words to sink in. "One of them?"

The old woman smiles pleasantly. "A red head male first went in with her, but there was another later. They had the most adorable little boy with them. I only saw 'em from a distance. They must have had a little get-together. They stayed a couple of days. The fire started not long after they'd left." She sighs again sadly. "So tragic. Does she know what has happened? She'll be devastated."

There was another? Sky didn't mention another friend. Of course it's possible they met while underway. But the boy...

Is it coincidence?

"I didn't see any humans. He can't have gone this way."

I should have gone with them. I gave Burns my weapon. He is no Seeker. He has probably never held a weapon before.

When we captured that group of humans, we did a thorough sweep of the area. We didn't find any trace of there being more than the three we caught. That of course doesn't mean there weren't others.

What if...

The thought is too chilling to hold on to. But I have no choice.

That boy. We never did find him. What if he reconciled with other humans? What if they kidnapped Sky and Burns and forced them to drive out here? They could still be in danger.

"Thank you," I tell the woman, "you're very perceptive. I need to return to my duties now. Thank you for your compassion."

"I'm sorry for your loss, Seeker."

I nod at her and rejoin my coworker Seeker Reef.

"What is it?" she asks when she sees my face, "something seems to be troubling you."

"You remember those humans we caught a few days ago? In the forest?" I ask, "that boy that managed to get away?"

"Of course," Seeker Reef answers, "your friend was there too." Realization crosses her expression. "She was going to visit here, wasn't she? She and her partner."

I look out of the window at the old woman as we drive away. "The neighbor said Sky and Burns had someone with them, another male. And a young boy."

It takes a while for Seeker Reef to respond. Her answer is hesitant, because the thought alone is unthinkable. "Your friend, she wouldn't... she wouldn't aid humans, would she?"

"Sky was terrified of humans," I answer. But she did have a resistant host. It is not possible for a host to take back their body, is it?

I shake off the thought. Of course that is not possible. "I think she and Burns were taken hostage by humans. They must have been forced to come here. The humans must have found out Sky's friends were Healers." Healers insert Souls. Was their house an intended target? If so, Sky and Burns may still be in danger. We have to find them.

"Word can't get out, Seeker Patt," Seeker Reef says quietly, "we can't cause any panic. But we will look for them." She bites her lip. "However, you have to consider the possibility... if they really are taken by humans... knowing how cruel humans are..."

I know what she's trying to say. It is very likely that Sky and Burns are already dead. That doesn't mean I won't look for them. They aren't the only Souls that have disappeared. Several have vanished over the course of the years. Only, the last year or so there has been an increase in disappearances. It has worried us Seekers greatly.

My expression turns grim. These are not ordinary Souls that have been taken. Sky is my friend. I will find her. And I will capture the humans responsible. I will draw out every piece of information about rebel cells that there is to find and then make sure their bodies are disposed of. Grown humans captured this late in our take-over are not suitable hosts.

I turn to Seeker Reef. "We'll start where we found the humans. Search the entire area. Take the most likely and the least likely road to here. Ask around, but be inconspicuous. I want them found."

"Of course, Seeker Patt," Seeker Reef answers, "we will send out several teams. The humans must be stopped."

I sigh and rub my eyes. This planet is the most resisting planet our kind has ever encountered. Perhaps it's because of all the Science Fiction nonsense. Their theories might be ridiculous in comparison to reality, but it left them prepared.

Perhaps it's something else. These human bodies are quite unstable emotionally.

But we have settled every other world. We will settle this one too.

Another sigh escaped me. There's one more thing I have to do. It's not something I'm looking forward to, but they have a right to know. They will be discrete. It is about their friends too.

I take my phone and dial. It takes a while before there is an answer.

"Ocean?" I say when I hear her voice, "it's Patt. There's something I need to tell you. You might want to sit down."