Chapter 104 The Ally

Be the change you want to see in the world

-Mahatma Ghandi

Emma

Blob after angry blob hits the wall. At the moment I'm not concerned with painting pretty pictures. I just want the anger to leave my system. How could I have ever thought this would be easy? And there are two more groups aside from Max'.

I let out a frustrated growl.

"You're quite the artist." I whirl around and find myself face to face with Max. "Though I like your forest landscape in the game room better."

I glare at him. "What do you want?"

Max raises his hands. "I come in peace." He walks further into the storage room. "I have to say you have quite the temper."

I grit my teeth. "I'm sick and tired of defending Burns all the time. He is a good person. You can trust him."

Max shrugs. "Seems you have Nate and his lot believing you."

I give him an even look. "Shouldn't that mean something to you then? That's twenty people, me not included, that vouch for Burns."

Max sighs and leans against the wall. "Even so, this 'Burns' is only one of those creatures. There's still eight billion of those things out there that still form a threat."

"It only takes one person to make a difference," I say softly.

Max seems to think on it. He tilts his head. "Then be that person," he says, "convince me."

I stare at him. "Convince you? How?"

He shrugs. "That's up to you. But it better be good. We've all got experience with how deceptive these parasites can be. They'll tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to trust them. And then they take you. They'll use your own family against you, your friends, tell you it will be alright." He swallows. "They work their way into your mind until you believe them."

"Who did they take?" I whisper. It's obvious he's struggling with something.

"My brother," he answers, "he got taken in the early days of the invasion. I almost believed him when he came to find me." He pauses and there's regret in his eyes. I'm almost afraid to ask. I've heard too many of these stories. I've lived these stories.

"I knew he wouldn't want to go on as some sort of robot," Max continues, "so I did the only thing I could."

He killed his brother. I can see it on his face. It's eating him up inside, but he would do it again. Anything's better than being taken.

How can I ever tell him the truth now? He'll never forgive himself. If he finds out there was a chance his brother could still be alive...

"Everything alright here?"

I turn at the sound of Burns' voice. He's standing at the entrance of the storage room and looks at me concerned. "You've been gone for a while."

"I'm fine," I nod, "I'm sorry. I just needed to blow off some steam."

Max watched us curiously and then looks at me. "Who was he to you when he was still human?"

Even though I had expected the question, it still takes me aback. I look at Burns, who patiently waits for me to answer.

I sigh. There's no way out of this now. "We didn't know each other then," I say softly. A faint smile appears on Burns' face.

Max blinks. He doesn't look like he believes me. "You're telling me you met him when he was already one of them? And you went with him just like that? And he never turned you over or tried anything?"