Chapter 99 The Raiders

There ain't no journey that don't change you some

-Cloud Atlas

Emma

We pass nameless towns and deserted planes. By now, we're far away from Grandview Mine. I'm still not sure where we're headed. I can't see much from the back of the van.

Blake is at the wheel with Burns in the passenger seat.

That leaves me with Will.

He's sitting across from me and every once in a while he stares at me.

The ride has been mostly silent. Will and Blake seem focused on the task at hand. I'm not sure what Burns is thinking, but I'm feeling on edge.
I'm worried something will go wrong.

"Hey," Will's voice draws my attention. He had that cautious look again. "Keep it together, alright? This was your idea. Don't make me regret this."

Burns looks back at us. "We'll be fine. It's just like we did before, Emma."

I nod. "I know."

"We're almost there," Blake says when we pass a road sign. "What's the plan?"

"We'll find one of the smaller stores," Burns says, "we'll take what we need and we'll come back to the van and move to the next."

Blake shakes his head. "You make it sound so simple."

"It is that simple," Burns answered.

"For you maybe," Will huffs.

Burns smiles apologetic. We left in the early hours of the night so we could be well on our way when the sun would come up. By now we're halfway across the state. We decided Blake will be the one to accompany Burns, mainly because he is calmer than Will and Will doesn't like the idea of me and Burns going on our own. It's a sensible decision, but I'm not looking forward to staying behind with Will.

"Here," Burns hands Blake a pair of sunglasses to shield his eyes. I contemplated bringing my contacts, but then decided against it. They were never much of a disguise anyway. "Remember," Burns continues, "just stay calm and smile at people. Pretend they are your closest friends."

Blake takes a deep breath. I know he said he isn't scared, but now that it comes to the actual deed, he looks a lot less sure.

"Look at that," I make an attempt at a joke, "Blake Southerby afraid of doing groceries."

He casts me a halfhearted smile through the rearview mirror, but I can see the slight tremble of the corner of his mouth. "I'll bring you back some chocolate chip cookies," he answers me.

I smile at him comforting. "Burns will keep you safe."

"We'll be just fine," Burns says.

"If you betray us," Will warns, "I'll kill your girlfriend here and I'll come after you one way or another."

Hurt flashes across Burns' face and he looks at me with a tortured expression. I know he's worried about leaving me alone with Will, but surprisingly enough, Will's threat doesn't bother me like it would have a few weeks ago. I lean forward and kiss Burns. "Bring me some hot tea? I haven't had a cup on weeks."

His smile is weak, but he nods.

I look at Will. "Anything for you?" He snorts and looks away. "Coffee for Will," I say.

"Where should I park?" Blake asks.

Burns looks up and points. "There is fine." He looks back at me and Will. "It's time."