1994

1994

     The Soul restlessly looked around for the new life that was about to be born. It instantly knew her, knew of what importance it held to it. It could not let this new life die, it could not let this life stray from the path it needed from its other half. It knew it needed to become a part of this new life in order for destiny and fate to converge.

    An old blind man approached The Soul 9 months before now. The old blind man beheld a prophecy that he had seen in his dreams only days before The Soul arrived. And when The Soul came to the old blind man, the old man told him what to expect.

    “On the spring solstice of the 20th century in its 94th year, you will find the one you seek and become one with the human. The curse that you have bestowed on both parts of you shall be lifted.”

      Now, thinking back to the prophecy that was told only months ago, The Soul finally understood it’s meaning. The Soul could feel the new life that it was meant to twine it’s essence with. It could feel the kindness of its being, the love that it will never be given until the other half of itself was presented.

     The Soul searched frantically through the hospital, looking for the life that was about to be born. Floor after floor The Soul looked, until it finally reached its destination. It flew through walls to get to the room it wanted and stopped when it found it.

     The woman who was giving birth to the new life was struggling. The Soul could feel her life ebbing away as she tried to bring her baby out. She pushed, using the hand with the small diamond to clutch a man’s hand, her husband.

     “Don’t let him get my baby! Don’t let him get our baby, Alex! Keep her away from the cold! Keep her safe!” The wife said, her voice growing fainter, getting harder to talk.

     The Soul could feel that the husband knew his wife wasn’t going to make it, that she was sacrificing her life for her baby’s. The husband was crying, and whispering words of love to his pained companion.

    Then they heard a cry.

    The Soul looked to where the new life lay in the doctor’s arms, its fingers already wrapped around the doctor’s finger. It did not cry but that first time as it was born. Instead, the new life looked around at everything, enraptured with what it saw.

    “Female. Born March 20th, 1994 8:28 PM at Wyandotte County Hospital.” The doctor stated right before he cut the umbilical cord.

    The heart rate monitor for the mother started to slow down and The Soul knew that her time was near.

    “What is her name, Chelsea?” The husband asked, a begging tone in his voice, “tell me her name.”

     Chelsea, the mother, used her last breath to say her daughter name.

     “Iana.”

     The new life’s mother died then, leaving her husband in anguish, and Iana crying.

     The Soul knew it was time to twine itself with Iana, knew that it was destiny that was going to see the prophecy through.

     The Soul billowed over Iana’s face, and watched her for a minute as she her cries fell to sniffles and whimpers. The Soul felt that she could feel its presence, and that it calmed her.

     Iana’s eyes opened, and when they were completely wide, she looked at it. The Soul knew that she could see itself, because Iana gave The Soul a toothless and gummy smile as she quickly fell asleep.

     When her eyes closed, The Soul spread its essence and bound her to it. Though it knew that her fate was now bound to its other half, it didn’t know that there would be consequences.