XXXVI. Savor the Feeling

XXXI

Savor the Feeling

  “You didn’t tell me she was dying!” Hadean roared, and the lamb beside him was no longer in use.

  “I didn’t know!” Gracie yelled back helplessly. When Iana had said she was dying, nobody talked until Barron silently left the room. Her and Hadean followed, though headed to the library to ‘talk’ as Hadean had described it.

  Hadean stomped over to Gracie until they were nose to nose, and looked intensely into her eyes. “You also didn’t tell me you broke her arm while cleaning her. You knew that though, didn’t you?”

  Gracie’s breath caught in her throat, one, because of how close they were, and two, because he knew what she did.

  “I didn’t push her hard,” she whispered, and wished that Hadean wasn’t looking at her like that. He was only three years older than her, and ever since she met him when she was six she’s had a crush on him. Yes she’d been with her choice of men, but none of them meant anything to her.

  “Well apparently you did, because now she’s unable to use that damn arm. We need her well and alive if our plan is to succeed.”

  Hell, Gracie thought, he’s sexy when he’s mad.

  “I know that,” she mumbled, “I’m sorry.”

  Hadean’s face softened, and he cupped Gracie’s cheek. “Look I’m sorry for getting so mad, it’s just a big deal to my father.”

  She nodded, and pushed her face into his hand. Ever since he’s come to America he’s been more intimate with her, always close and being in contact.

  “C’mon sweet,” Gracie smiled at the name, “let’s go get something to eat.” Gracie nodded, and they headed to the kitchen.

  Honestly, she didn’t want to do any of this, but it’s all she’s ever known since she was six. She was trained to keep an eye on Iana and eliminate anything that was in the way. Iana’s boyfriend Jack, was one of the things in the way, but Gracie didn’t have it in her to take him away. Iana seemed extremely happy and content with him, and Gracie couldn’t ruin that.

  Also, ever since they brought Iana here, Gracie’s been hesitant to go along with the plan. Yes, she sort of enjoyed seeing Iana like this, but a part of her knew this was wrong, that Iana shouldn’t be treated like this, oldest soul or not.

  For the rest of the night Hadean was nice to her, making her dinner and letting them watch a movie of her choice. Gracie like this side of Hadean, the nicer side of him. The times were few and far between that he was like this, so Gracie soaked up the most she could, know thing soon his cold and hard exterior would return by the morning.

  Iana looked around, and noticed the familiar place where she met her mother for the first time. The blinding white light didn’t come immediately, or blinding. When it came, it was a soft mellow and the clinking of glass met Iana’s ears.

  A second later, her mother was in front of her, arms opened with a sympathetic smile on her face. Rushing into the warm embrace, Iana inhales the sweet smell of her mother’s perfume.

  “Oh my sweet baby,” coos her mother, “I warned you that hard times would come to your life. But you will follow through, you are strong.”

  Tears came to Iana’s eyes, and she buried her head further to stop them.

  “Mommy,” Iana croaked, and winced at the sound of her voice, “I don’t know what to do. It’s been days since I’ve been kidnapped, and Jack hasn’t found me yet.” The thought of Jack made a fresh wave of tears come to her eyes.

  Her mother strokes Iana’s hair and kisses her head, before pulling back and sitting down. She pats the place next to her, and Iana sits almost instantly.

  “Iana, honey, there is nothing to worry about,” her mother admits, causing for her to furrow her brows.

  “What do you mean” She asks, confusion laced in her voice.

  Chelsea strokes her daughter’s hair again, and Iana sighs from the comforting contact. This was the only place Iana was safe from the effects of being away from Jack, and Iana reveled in it.

  “All of this,” she gestured to Iana’s disheveled figure, “will be over soon. You will find a way to help Jack find you; it’s in your nature to find each other.”

  Iana nodded, and rested her head on her mother’s shoulder. “It’s hard. Going through all of this, being kidnapped, hunted by almost every mythological being known to man, and maybe some not discovered.”

  Chelsea turns her head, “are you saying you want to give up?”

  In a second Iana was shot up from her seated position and looking down at her mother with a look of shock. “No!” Iana yelled, “I would never in a million years regret what has happened nor wish to change anything! If this is what it takes to be with Jack, then so be it.”

  “Come sit down sweetie,” Chelsea gestured to Iana’s spot, and again, Iana complied. Though this time her mother drew her closer and hugged her tight.

  They sit like that for a while, Iana safe in her mother’s arms while they sit in silence.

  A familiar melody graces Iana’s lips, and she whisper sings the lullaby in which her mother would sing to her while she grew in her womb. She sang it with love pure in her voice, but also with longing of her love. Her Jack, her soul mate, her other half.

  Damn she missed him so very much.

  Without realizing, Iana began to sing the soft melody louder, loud enough to where her mother heard the lyrics. Chelsea pulled back to look back at Iana with a knowing smile.

  “That lullaby has been in my family for many generations,” Chelsea whispered proudly, “and I am very glad that Tyler has passed it on to you.”

  A memory entered Iana’s mind, and she laughed.

  “What makes you laugh, Iana?”

  She shakes her head, it was silly, but one of the most intimate times with Jack. “I asked Jack how he found me a while ago, and he told me when I sing that song it leads him to me, no matter where I’m at.”

  When Iana asked him, Jack was hesitant to tell her. His cheeks held a rosy blush and his eyes held shyness, and Iana loved him much more when that happened.

  Afterward telling, Iana… launched herself at Jack, peppering him with kisses and words of love and truth. And let’s just say, they had a very nice kiss.

  Chelsea smiled, “of course it would. It’s not just a nursery rhyme you know. It’s saying that you are safe no matter what and the thing you most see keeps you prot-“

  Iana’s gasp stopped her mother’s speech, and realization finally dawned on her.

  “He can find me now!” Iana shrieked happily, “he can find me with my lullaby! He told me he’d find me no matter where I was if I sang it!”

  Iana threw her arms around Chelsea and squeezed as tight as she could. Her mother chuckled lightly, and squeezed just as much.

  Again, Iana gasped, “I have to go. I need to be awake and sing for it to work!” She jumped up, and willed herself to awaken, giving her mother one last hug and smile, before opening her eyes to the bright room she was held captive in.

  Hold on Jack, Iana thought, we’ll be back together soon.