XVI: Waterfall

XVI

Waterfall

     Jack thought it amusing that she thought she was in danger by the things her mother told her. He laughed in her face and now he was starting to regret it by the look she gave him.

     Hurt, annoyance, anger.

     “You didn’t let me finish Jack,” she snapped.

     That shut him up.

     He waited for her continue speaking, and after a minute she did, but with a frown on her face and her lips pursed.

     “She told me that they would be coming after me.”

     What!? Why? He got it if Lillian was to come after her because she didn’t want him to have her. But the witches? The vampires? Why would they want Iana?

      Things just got a WHOLE lot more complicated.

     “Why would they want you?” Jack voiced his thoughts, still stirring from the unnerving news.

     “That’s what I’m getting to,” Jack could tell Iana was frustrated, by the way she huffed and was constantly running her hands through her hair.

     “I’m much more valuable that what I seem to be.”

     “What do you mean?” Confusion was evident in his voice as he continued to peer curiously at Iana.

      He could also tell she was avoiding the real answer. With all his heart, he wanted her to trust him.

      She was his soul mate, after all.

     Iana clenched her fists, and he heard her jaw pop with the pressure she was using. He cringed as he heard her teeth grind together, but didn’t complain.

     “My, mother told me that,” Iana suddenly looked up and Jack was again taken away by the sheer beauty of her eyes. But he inwardly was wishing to make the look in her eyes go away. It was a mix between hesitation and heart break. And the worst of all.

      Fear.

     Iana stood up quickly, and walked to the small waterfall that was next to the rock. Kneeling down, she let her fingers just touch the water. She looked peaceful here to Jack, and he could tell she’s been here more than a couple times.

     Still kneeling and touching the water, she continued.

     “She said I have the oldest soul and the dangerous things mentioned, “Iana gulped, “will do anything to have it, with me dead or alive. Doesn’t matter.”

     Time seemed to stand still as Jack took in her words.

     Oldest soul. Anything. Have it. Dead. Alive. Doesn’t matter.

     Jack slowly stood up, and walked over to her. Ever so gently, he pulled her up by her shoulders until she was to her full height at where his chin was.

     She wouldn’t look up, and when Jack tried to coax her head up with his fingers, she refused.

     “Look at me, Iana, love,” he whispered, and at the last word her head shot up. Forming tears brimmed in her eyes as she looked into his, and he wiped away the tears that fell.

     Iana’s lips slowly curled into the most beautiful smiling that Jack thought have broken hearts multiple times, and his heart was bursting with pride and love that this girl was his.

      His.

     The girl with the oldest soul was his.

     And that was not going to stop him from falling more in love with her.

     Jack had heard about the oldest soul too. This special soul had the knowledge of life, death, everything. Iana may not know these things, but prophets had said the more she is with immortal beings, the more she would show of her old souls self.

      He had only heard of this soul, he was in the village of Broncley (now upper Sweden,) when he heard it was lost. And he was only one hundred and thirty three by then, and the soul had already lived seven full lifetimes. Before that the soul was just, there, it had no host, no human body to live in. It lived amongst the earth with no time or place to know.

     The oldest soul was his soul mate.

     “Love?” Jack asked, and Iana looked for him to continue, and he did.

     “I don’t care, of how important you are, or if you’re the oldest soul on the planet, or hell, universe. All I care about is you. Your safety. Your love. Your happiness. You make me warm, Iana. There are things I haven’t felt in such a long time, and warmth is just one of them.”