XXIII. Out of the Dark

XXIII

Out of the Dark

        The evening after the little run in with Gracie, Iana and Jack were in her room, watching Oliver Twist from her little TV, when she heard the crunch of her Dad’s tires.

         Iana could tell by the way Jacks face was concentrating slightly that he was becoming invisible, even though she couldn’t see it.

         She laid a hand on his, and he turned his head towards her.

         “We can’t keep him in secret.”

         “But-“ he was cut off by a finger to his lips.

         “I didn’t say we would tell him the whole truth, even though it would make me sleep better at night.”

         She swore she could hear a mumble coming from him that sounded like, “you sleep great in my arms,” but ignored it.

      “All that I’m saying is, we should tell him you’ll be around… a lot, and wont be leaving.”

     Jack nodded, and a smile was half way on his face before her Dad shouted up the stairs.

     “Sweetheart? You home?”

     Iana smiled, “where else would I be?”

     “Oh, I don’t know, with a boy.”

     Iana’s breath faltered.

     “Ummm,” she hummed.

     “Iana,” a pause, “are- are you with a boy?”

     “Maybe?” She winced at the question in her voice, which gave everything.

     “Come down please,” the quietness in her father’s voice made her curse her actions.

     As she descended the stairs, her Dad staring at her, she looked up the stairs, and back down.

     “You too boy!”

     Iana could hear the soft thudding of Jacks footsteps following her down the stairs.

     By the time she was fully downstairs, Jack was beside her, and her fingers itched to hold his hand.

     That would be a disaster if her Dad saw.

     “Name?” Her Dad immediately questioned.

     “Jack.”

     “Age?”

     “Eighteen.”

     “College or high school?”

     “I just registered at Wyandotte High, actually.”

     “So do you have good grades or F’s?”

     Iana’s Father peered at Jack closely, and there was an expression of faint recognition in his eyes. But as soon as it was there, it was gone.

      “Mostly A’s, the occasional B.”

      Her Dad nodded, “what do you want to do with my daughter?”

      She almost choked on her own air, “Dad!”

      Before he could respond, Jack spoke.

      “I want to be with her.”

      Jack looked at her with a fierceness in his eyes, and he took hold of her hand, clutching it tightly before speaking again.

      “I- I love her.”

      The truth in his voice rang and spoke out in volumes. It pulsed greatly in the silence that continued after.

      Jack looked down at Iana, and saw tears in her eyes.

     “You got her pregnant, didn’t you? You bastard, you violated my daughter!” Iana’s father roared, coming at Jack.

     “No! Dad, I’m a virgin! I’m not pregnant. And if I was, I would tell you!”

     Her Dad stopped immediately, “you’re not?”

     Iana shakes her head, and relief washed over him that he wasn’t going to be killed by her father.

     Jack would go to Hell and back and face the thousands of years alone again if it meant he’d get to come back to Iana. No matter what, his world now revolved around Iana.

     “Sir,” Jack said, pulling Iana against his chest, “I’ll do anything for her, no matter the cost.”

     Iana’s father nodded, closing his eyes tightly and breathing deeply.

     He opened his eyes and landed them on his daughter, “do you want to be with him, Iana, sweetheart?”

     Jack felt her nod, and he smiled, kissing her forehead, not without earning a glare from her father.

    “How long have you guys… copulated?”

    “Dad! I’m a virgin! Wrong word to say!”

    “Sorry, got tongue tied!” Her dad shouted, and Jack chuckled at their interaction.

    “How long have you guys been together?”

    “Three weeks.”

    Iana’s Father nods, and looks between them, as if looking close and long enough will reveal the nonexistent thread that shows their connection and attraction.

    The next few minutes are left in silence, Iana looking at her Dad, her Dad looking at Jack, albeit a little weirdly, and Jack looking at Iana.

     A loud clap, breaks Jack out of his stare and he turns to look at her Dad.

     “Well I’m hungry, so I’m going to order some Chinese takeout and we can get to know each other better then!”

     “Sure Dad,” Iana looks Jack, we’ll be in my room.

     “Leave the door open,” her father narrows his eyes at Jack.

     “Will do, sir.”

--------------------------

Heads up, Gerard Butler is Tyler, Iana's Dad. Photo is in the sidebar! Comment on what you think!

Share it! Vote it! Love it!

- Lunalove673