XLIII. Out With the Old, In With the New

XLIII

Out With the Old, In With the New

  There was only two more weeks left of school. The month and a half that they’d been back was filled with SAT’s and school make-up.

  Jack was especially excited for the mark of the end of high school. It was meant for when he would pop the question, as Cassie so eloquently put it.

  So far, no vampires, werewolves, faeries, gods or goddesses, demons or angels, have come to take Iana away. Which was a good sign, considering that when she escaped from Barren, it sent out a ‘supernatural signal’ to all those creatures about her.

  Jack made sure they were cautious though. He covered up their tracks when something would send out bigger signals, and kept the other creatures curious at bay.

  The contents of ‘the night’ hid in Tyler’s closet, waiting. Jack would go make sure that he had everything for that night, and the pure white dress stood out, longing to be worn by the only person it belonged to.

  Iana.

  But Jack had to be patient. Because the day before graduation, exactly a week and three days, he would take Iana and ask her the very question he’s been anxious for her to answer.

  To marry him.

  Gracie looked out over the courtyard of the school, happiness enveloping her whole being.

  Before did she ever rarely feel like this, feel like herself.

  Feel like she wasn’t hiding anything.

  The ring on her left hand glittered in the afternoon sun. No, it was not a wedding ring. It was a promise ring.

  “I don’t want to rush. We have all the time in the world, and I’m going to use it wisely getting to know you, be with you, and love you.”

  Hadean’s voice echoed in her head, sending a thrilling chill down her spine. It was words like those that helped Gracie regain herself from the ten years she was kept unrevealed, hidden.

  Ever since the last day at the mansion, Gracie had been different. No longer was she the snobby bitch who didn’t care about anything about herself. She didn’t wear the preppy skirts and deep V-neck shirts, flirting with every single (and occasionally taken) guy on campus.

  It was a great shock to the schools populous when they saw the big change in Gracie. Seeing the most popular girl in school in some skinny jeans and a sweat shirt was surprising for even herself.

  I never knew that it could be comfortable in these clothes.

  It was a relief though. The skirts would sometimes feel too short, and the shirts to revealing. Now Gracie could be herself again.

  A laugh tore Gracie from her thoughts. Turning, she spotted Iana walking towards her with a lunch tray, Mia and Cassie behind her.

  Gracie had become accustomed to this now. When Iana arrived at school again, she didn’t treat Gracie with disgust or hate. No, Iana walked up to Gracie, and hugged her.

  Since then, Gracie left her click of friends, which I guess weren’t even friends, since they practically shunned me when they saw me in some moccasins, and stayed with Iana.

  At first, Mia and Cassie were hesitant, since they knew what Gracie did to Iana, but with Iana’s insistence, they slowly came to see the new reformed Gracie. Cassie had immediately flat out admitted to Gracie that she liked this version better.