XXVI. Frost Shows

XXII

Frost Shows

      It had been fourteen days since Iana had told Jack the truth. Two weeks that he would always be by her side, invisible or not. And it came to the point that if he even left her for ten minutes, she would be as bad as she was the night she was about to die.

      She was in Ancient History now, trying to focus on the screen of old pictures from the early eighteen-hundreds showcasing B.C. hieroglyphics, but alas, something, or, someone, was holding her attention.

       Jack, sitting in a chair invisible that everybody else thought was empty, was creating an invisible snow show around the room. Especially on Mr. McCormin since Jack didn’t like him.

        At all.

        With a passion.

      Little snowflake were cascading around Iana’s head, and she smiled. Her hands twitched to touch them, but it would look weird to the others around her if she was touching nothing.

      “Beautiful, isn’t it?” Jack asks, a smile too, brightening his face.

       Iana just barely nods, trying to focus on the screen.

       Jack wouldn’t have it.

     How? He started making flying snow figurines like horses, and bears, and butterflies.

    Iana had to hold in a large gasp, which to others sounded like a deep breath.

      Quietly ripping out a sheet of paper, Iana scribbled onto it and turned it slightly so invisible Jack could read it.

        I am trying to learn here! It says.

     Jack shrugs his shoulders, “yeah, and I’m giving you real entertainment.”

       “You can do that at home!” Iana mumbles.

       Well that came out wrong, because Jack smiled devilishly and made Iana blush a thousand colors of red.

      I did not mean it like that! She writes.

      “Sure…”

     The last ten minutes of Ancient History consisted of Jack doing everything to make Iana laugh, and Iana holding in her laughter by making her tongue bleed.

     When the bell rang, Iana was the first one out of class and to her locker.

     Of course, Jack was already there.

     Without talking to him, Iana opens her locker, grabs her favorite book, and heads to lunch.

     But not without a run in.

     Someone pushes her, and she feels the air whoosh past her body. Iana closes her eyes, expecting the fall, but she doesn’t feel the floor. Instead, she feels warm, gloved hands on her body.

     Opening her eyes, she sees Jack’s.

     The faces around her as she looks shows shock, and surprise, especially on the girl who pushed her, Gracie Alistair.

     “I’ve seen you before, haven’t I?” Gracie asks Jack.

     He just stares at her.

     Her eyes flash, as if she figured out something.

     “I have, you were checking out the school a couple weeks ago!”