XXVIII. Gum Sticking

XXVIII

Gum Sticking

  “Iana has to have eyes watching her wherever she goes, even if it’s to the bathroom to freshen up. Her phone needs to be tapped and tracked in case someone successfully takes her. Her food needs to be monitored and checked before eaten also. We cannot afford for our mission to be abort if Iana dies of food poisoning or allergic reactions.”

  It took all of Mia to not walk up to her father and slap some sense into him. Of course somebody wants to kill Iana, they all knew that. Nothing has happened so far, and nothing will. If Mia and her family can protect Iana for this long, then they can do it for much longer.

  Mia’s father’s voice broke her out of her thoughts.

  “Mia!” He barked, “you said Iana was going to be attending the prom?”

  She looked down, nodding. Great, now she’s going to have to watch Iana all through prom.

  Iana was one of Mia’s best friends, like a sister along with Cassie. But Mia wanted to have fun at prom. It was prom. The last major high school party she’ll ever go to before she starts her life and her career!

  Mia sighed, readying herself for her father’s instructions. That’s all she’s ever known. Protect Iana. Watch Iana. Don’t let Iana talk to strangers. Those were the words her Dad would scold her with.

  A flash of hurt raced through Mia when she thought how Iana didn’t know that Mia was one of her main guardians. Mia started protecting Iana ever since kindergarten, and since this year, it was the only thing she did that involved Iana. But now, ever since Iana’s boyfriend Jack – which Mia was curious about because since the first time Jack was here Iana’s been stuck to him like glue as if her life depended on it – arrived and introduced Iana to his friends Mia’s grown attached.

  She didn’t want to think about the possibility of something going wrong and having to tell the Iana the truth. Over the past months Mia has grown to love Iana as the big sister she never had but always wanted. Iana knew all the right things to say to people and made everyone happy with just smile.

  Losing Iana if everything went south would break Mia’s heart. She was just lucky that Cassie was Iana’s other guardian.

  “I need you to stick to Iana like gum would in hair.”

  Ewe.

  “You see her drink out of the punch bowl, take the cup from her and give her an unopened can of soda. She starts to dance with someone you don’t like or don’t trust, do anything you can to make him run in the other direction. If Iana goes outside to take a breather or whatever, go with her. And don’t, DON’T tell her the absolute truth unless in dire need. Got it honey?”

  Mia rolled her eyes at her Dad’s change of mood, also at the familiar term of endearment he would call her after a meeting with the other lower Guardians.

  They all dispersed, and went their own ways. Cassie wasn’t there because she was with Iana tonight and that was more important than the meeting. Besides Mia would catch her up on what was spoken about later. If she were here she’d be talking up a storm about prom or if Iana were to be kidnapped.

  The ding of her ringtone made her pull out her phone and look down at the screen.

  “Hello?” She answered.

  “Why didn’t you tell me that if I gave Cassie Rocky Road ice cream she’d be jumping off my damn bedroom walls?!”

  Mia winced, cursing herself for forgetting to tell Iana about that little detail. “Sorry, it slipped.”