XXIV. New Friends

XXIV

New Friends

        People seemed to stop staring a couple weeks after Jack got here, and Iana was relieved. Everybody was suspicious of him. Ever since he literally appeared out of thin air to catch her before she fell.

  Jack seemed to kind of fit in, in some weird and twisted way. He made a couple of friends, and they both sat at their table during lunch. He was surprising in all her classes too, and she felt that he had something to do with it.

  They were surviving on their own with each other these past few weeks. And it was unfathomable how close they’ve become to each other, like an invisible rope was knotting them together. Whenever he left her for a minute or she left him, her every being called out to him, wanting her to curl up in his arms and never go.

  They were this closed and they haven’t even kissed yet.

  There were a few close calls before, all of them when they were alone, and right before they would touch something would stop them. It was as if fate was saying it was not yet time for that stage, and that they needed to be patient.

  Yeah, well, Iana thought wryly, I’m about to screw fate and patience.

  Iana’s Dad was actually okay with them together, and didn’t mind when he would find them in her bedroom lazing around.

  He probably knew that Iana had the sex-drive of plankton.

  Iana could hear someone call her name from beside her, and she turned to look at them.

  “Are you going to Prom?” A girl asked, Mia.

  She shrugged, looking to Jack to see what he thought. His brows were furrowed in concentration, and Iana put a hand on his shoulder. She didn’t like seeing him frustrated.

  Jack looked at her, and his expression immediately softened. A small smile lit up his face.

  “Hi,” he breathed out, putting his forehead against hers. He’d done this a couple times over the past few weeks, and it sent pleasurable chills up her spine.

  “Hi,” she said back.

  They looked into each other’s eyes, and Iana wondered when she’d be able to tell him that she truly loved him.

  “OMG! You guys are like, the cutest couple ever!” Cassie said, breaking their moment.

  Iana rolled her eyes, smiling at the girl. She had gotten to know Cassie and they had become best friends in the short amount of time they actually knew each other. When she wasn’t with Jack- albeit for that very brief amount of time- she was with Cassie causing silent mischief between their group of friends.

  That honey and feathers prank was a good one. It took a long time for Jack to get the honey out of his hair, and Iana sad to see it in such disarray.

  “So are you going?” Mia asked again, Iana also, was able to get to know her better.

  She looked to Jack again, and then back to Mia, “depends on what he thinks.”

  “See!” Cassie screeched, “they are perfect for each other!”

  Iana didn’t know how Cassie had all her energy and still be hyper at the end of the day. She even asked if she ate what fairies did. Cassie just laughed at the question, but instantly answered it when she took out an energy drink.

  Jack blushed, and Iana knew he wasn’t used to this attention. A thousand years of being alone can do that to you.

  He had to be especially careful though, since everything else he touched still froze.