XXXVIII. Whispers

XXXVIII

Whispers

  “Please don’t go,” Iana sobbed, her tears running down her cheeks onto his chest. She though immortals were immortal. That they didn’t die, but she was wrong.

  Four months. Four months. It was all they had together, and it was too damn short. Nobody deserved to find their soul mate and then have them be ripped from each other by the curse of death. No, it wasn’t right.

  “Damn it Jack!” Iana on accidentally hit Jack’s chest, and he groaned, but Iana continued, “don’t you dare leave me! Not when I just got you. You got it Frost?”

  A chuckle that turned into another groan came from Jack, and Iana looked to see him with a smile/grimace.

  “My love,” Jack whispered, and wiped the tears from her face. “Don’t cry. I want to see a smile when I go.”

  “No,” Iana demanded, “you will not go. You hear me?”

  “Iana, I cannot control what is fate and destiny. If it is meant to happen, then it will happen.”

  A sob escaped her chest at those words, and Iana finally but reluctantly nodded. Jack smile-grimaced again, and Iana tried to smile back, failing miserably.

  She looked around, and spotted her father with Cindy in his arms, tears down both of their faces. Jason and Dean were teary, but she knew they kept were keeping their dignity by not letting those tears fall.

  Iana waved the four over, and they came closer, kneeling by the two as they looked at them in sadness.

  Jack leaned over, and coughed out blood, a thin trail going down his chin and neck. Iana wiped it away with her dress, until his skin was gone of the red.

  Jason surprisingly took Jack’s hand, and held in both of his own, keeping it close to his body.

  “We’ll miss you man,” Dean said shakily next to Iana, and bowed his head as he let the tears flow. Jason broke down seconds after that, while Iana’s father and Cindy were already silently crying.

  Iana held her tears and sobs in, trying to be strong for Jack. Showing him that she wasn’t afraid, when, in fact, she was scared as hell.

  “Can,” Jack coughed again, and Iana wiped more blood off his chin and neck, “can I have the rest of my time with Iana?”

  All of them nodded, hugged Jack carefully, and left.

  “Oh Jack,” Iana sighed, and rested her head on the side of his chest that didn’t have a knife stuck in it. “What am I going to do with you?”

  “I don’t know love. I don’t know.”

  Without realizing, Iana’s hands were stroking Jack’s hair, now slicked with some sweat. She looked up at Jack, her chin on his hard chest. Iana winced when she heard the slowing of Jack’s heart, even though she was on the other side of his chest.

  “Tell me what Elianna looked like again,” Jack coughed.

  A smile immediately encased Iana’s face. “She had a mix of our hair, mostly black though, with brown streaks through it. It was the softest of natural curls that went down to her waist, and it shined brighter than mine.”

  Jack twirled a lock of Iana’s hair, and looking straight into her eyes, whispered, “nobody can match how your hair can shine, my love. Not even our daughter.”

  Iana shook her head, still smiling, “it did. Believe me. Oh! Her nose. It was the perkiest nose I’ve ever seen, it was like a curved button, and it had a little speckle of freckles, as did her cheeks. She’s really tan, and in the dream she was four or five, so she had that little girl accent, and was about to my mid-stomach. I could tell she’d be really tall when she grew up. No child that young would be that tall.”