XXXV. Search and Rescue

XXXV

Search and Rescue

  The Victorian era mansion stood at the top of a hill looking proud and big. The windows were floor to ceiling and screened so that no one would be able to look in. The roof was a place where it was flat and anybody with a balcony would be able to get to it and lay down to stare at the clear starry night. Two big SUV’s were parked in the oval, and on each side of the drive way, were four guards a couple feet away from each other.

  Even though the guards looked like a normal human, Jack could tell that they were anything but human. Half were vampires, and half were werewolves, a rare sight to see since they didn’t like each other. The twitch of the werewolves noses every couple of minutes and the way the vampires licked their lips incessantly gave away that they were supernatural. Also, the vampires glared at the sun and the werewolves nails would extract and protract.

  “See those guards,” Jack said to Tyler, and pointed, “let me take care of them. Their too strong for you, fight them and you’ll be snapped in a second.”

  Tyler looked hurt, but Jack shook it off, and looked to the others. “Cindy, when you guys get inside the house, create a diversion. I don’t care what you do, just get the inside guards away.” Cindy nodded. “Tyler, go with Cindy. But stay in the shadows until you need to fight. Dean and Brandon, find who kidnapped Iana. And Jason, stay behind me. We’re going to find Iana.”

  All of them nodded, and Jack got up from his hiding space, walking up to the guards. His gloves already off, as soon as the guards saw him; he shot ice spikes into their chests from his hands, showing no mercy. These beings helped kidnap Iana. They deserve to die for kidnapping the most important person in the world, no exaggeration.

  Ten seconds later, the guards were on the ground dead with spikes through their hearts and the others off to their places.

  Phase one complete, Jack thought, a few more to go.

  Jack and Jason quickly entered the mansion, their eyes landing on the unconscious super naturals.

  The echoes of Iana’s voice still echoed silently on the walls of the mansion, and Jack followed it. Every turn, the inaudible melody became louder, but as they turned the last corner, Jack backed up quickly after spotting two men and a familiar girl.

  Jason looked at Jack with a curious stare, and Jack put his finger to his lips, telling him to be quiet. He carefully moved his head an inch away from the corner, and sneakily watched the group.

  “What do you mean she vanished?” The younger male growled. And Jack instantly knew he was English.

  “That’s it! She disappeared at the blink of an eye after I threatened her.”

  The way the older man said that with such menace in his foreign accent made Jack clench his jaw with a flurry of frost beginning to form on the walls around him. A hand on his shoulder made him whirl around to see a scared Jason.

  “Calm down man,” he said shakily, eyeing the frosted walls. Fear was in his eyes, and part of that helped Jack see that him unleashing his wrath wouldn’t only kill the kidnappers.

  “Ugh! Just let her go, I don’t see why she’s needed!” A familiar voice squealed, and a second after, Jack heard choking. He looked around the corner to see the older man holding, Gracie up by the throat. The younger one looked like he wanted to do something, but he must’ve had common sense to see that it would be useless. 

  “You dare question my actions Gracelyn,” the older man growled, a sociopathic look consuming his features.

  “Father,” the younger one whispered, “please, let her go.”