XXI. Extinct Feelings

XXI

Extinct Feelings

      “Ugh,” Iana groaned.

      Hot. She was hot.

     “Why does it feel like I’m in the Sahara desert right now?” She grumbled, attempting to sit up, but something held her back.

     She turned her head to the left, and looked down to see a lump under the covers. Looking down, she saw an arm wrapped around her waist tightly and possessively.

     A very warm arm.

    Ever slowly, Iana pulled back to the covers until she could see a face.

     “Jack,” she breathed.

    His eyes were closed serenely and his lips were in a small smile, as if whatever he was dreaming about was making him happy.

    Iana put her hand over his, and as if he knew she was trying to get out of bed, he pulled her tighter to him. She squealed and fell onto the bed.

    Jack buried his head into her neck and inhaled deeply, sending delicious licks of shivers throughout her body.

     She decided to wait and watch Jack wake up, since seeing him like this calmed her externally, and internally.

    He was her happiness, her pain, and everything in between that made her feel what she felt right then.

   Proud, happy, calm.

   And most of all, angry.

   Angry that they hadn’t met earlier.

   But that didn’t matter now. Because he was here, with her in his arms, sleeping as if he hasn’t in years. He looked normal. No, not normal, he looked at home.

   He didn’t look like he could make a city or state break out in rain, or create an ice age. He looked like he would graduate high school and get a master’s degree in being a doctor or a scientist. He would get a top paying job and live in an expensive house or condo living alone until his early thirties, when he found a girl at a coffee shop reading a book by Nora Roberts or James Patterson. She would be sitting alone, looking happy reading her book and drinking her fat free Latte, and he would ask to sit by her. She would smile, say yes, and they would hit it off.

   They would be married six months later, and two after that, she would find out she was pregnant. Seven later, their baby would be born, and they would name it a Katie or a Trevor, and they would live together happily as they grew old and watched their grandchildren get married and have their old kids.

     That thought made Iana sad, because Jack couldn’t grow old, but she will. She felt as if her whole world depended on Jack now. Even though they only met a few days ago, she was feeling something she never felt before.

     Love.

     True love.

     Iana was falling for this immortal man that is what caused her to play in the snow during the winter and pretend to be an ice princess waiting for her prince full of sunshine to save her from the evil snowy monster.

      Jack was probably the reason she loved snow too, even if she was born in the spring.

      She loved him, deeply, emotionally, heart fully.

      And she knew, that she wouldn’t be able to stop loving him. She would love him.

      Forever.