XVII. Invisibility Perks

XVII

Invisibility Perks

     Warmth. One of the feelings Jack felt near Iana. It was everywhere she was, everything she is. It wrapped Jack in a comfortable cocoon that consisted of everything Iana. And here they were, lying on her bed while the rain came back drizzling again. He let it fall, if was the tears of the problems they had, and when he stopped it when they came back to her house, Iana told him not to, told him that she felt calm when it fell.

     Iana was playing with Jacks hair, as if it were the most normal thing in the world, and she let him hold her. For how long, he didn’t know, but he was grateful, because it was the most peaceful time for him in thousands of years, with comfortable silence and the faint sound of the rain pitter pattering on the window when a sudden gust of wind hit.

      Her hand slowly stopped playing with Jack’s hair, and when he looked down at her face, he realized she was sleeping.

      Jack ran a finger over her pursed red lips, and she reacted by curling herself into him. Her arm wound around his waist, and she hiked a leg over his. Her head nuzzled into his neck, and when she did that, she breathed deeply.

      When she breathed out, his skin broke out in goose bumps and he shivered delightfully.

      Hearing the faint sound of tires, Jack tuned in his hearing, and heard footsteps.

      Through the door, to the living room, up the stairs, to Iana’s door.

     Acting on impulse, Jack shot out of the bed and made himself invisible.

     He looked at Iana, who was awake and fervently looking around for him and when she found him, she hissed for him to leave.

     He didn’t

     He stayed in the corner beside her bay window, watching the scene that was before him.

     A knock sounded, and the door opened to a middle aged man with dark brown hair and green eyes. They crinkled around the edges when he smiled at his daughter, and he sat down on the edge of her bed, uncomfortable.

      Jack could tell that Iana was confused, that she could see him but her father couldn’t.

      “Honey,” her father asked, “how was your day? You look like you just woke up.”

      Iana yawned, laughing, “I did, but I came home early. I wasn’t feeling well.”

      Jack was surprised by how smooth she said the lie.

     I guess with an old soul you have practice, Jack thought wryly.

     Iana’s father’s narrowed his eyes at her,” You know you can’t keep skipping school Iana. Is it that girl again? I remember getting calls from your school about Georgia, Gemma?”

      “Gracie,” she corrected, rolling her eyes and falling back on her bed.

      Jack was mad that someone would pick on her. Iana had powers she did not yet understand, or even know. 

      If she knew of her undiscovered power, it could be a possibility that she, or her soul, could become power hungry, blood thirsty, and want supernatural domination. Jack would have to help her understand this, as he didn’t when he found out of his potential.

      “I know Dad,” Iana continued, “but I really wasn’t feeling well. Besides, it’s Friday! I’ll get better and then we can spend time like we agreed tomorrow. We’ll go wherever you want, I promise.”