Part 3.2

(Previously: Azmeck saves Trip's life, and Erich recognizes the doctor.)

"Wait a minute, aren't you Dr. Azmeck?" Erich asked.

"Why yes, indeed." Azmeck nodded, folding up his transportation pad, which unfortunately was only a one-way teleportation device due to its small size. "I am surprised there are still some youth who have heard of me."

"Well, yeah, my father. He studied your works. He was somewhat of a renowned biologist, to tell the truth."

Azmeck was curious. "And he is?"

"Dr. Durrick Botland," Erich replied. He lowered his head. "He's in a better place, now."

"Ah, yes, Botland," Azmeck said. "Deceased, you say? My, my, what a loss of talent. You must be Erich."

Erich was startled for a second. "Well, yeah. I guess you do know him."

"My, my, how you have grown."

"Excuse me?"

"You were a baby since the last I've seen you," Azmeck said, stroking his gray beard. "Any who, I apologize, but I must be going. I have plenty of work to do."

"Oh ... well, all right then," Erich said, feeling somewhat awkward. "Just be careful, though. There are probably some more pirates still on the ship."

"Not to worry about me, son," Azmeck assured. "I have Feit with me, you see."

Feit walked over to Azmeck's side and bowed at Erich to say goodbye. "It has been a pleasure to meet you, Erich."

"You, too," Erich replied.

Azmeck waved. "Feel free to stop by my lab any time, OK?"

"Sure thing," Erich said as Azmeck and Feit walked off.

Cutlass butted in. "What a great lad he be--healing me hearty friend."

Trip stood up, holding his arm, looking to the floor as Coronan guards arrived in a hovering platform vehicle. They jumped off and rushed to the still-knocked-out pirates to round them up.

"Yeah ..." Erich said softly, and then looked at Trip. "Glad you're OK now. You just gotta take it easy from now on." He moved his gaze to Cutlass. "Thanks."

"Arr!" Cutlass said, nodding.

"Now let's go back to the quarters," Erich said as he walked off, exercising his arm. He looked over his scorched and dented armor and used magnetism to pull out the bullet still wedged in his arm. It hurt but he bit back the yell as it popped out and landed in the palm of his hand.

They didn't get far when yet another boom echoed through the ship--the sound of a crash. Guards finished gathering the pirates and dead bodies as Erich overheard them talking of another attack--this one again at portside.

Erich smiled. "Cutlass, look after Trip for me. Or should I say the other way around. I've got some more fighting to do."

"Are ye sure?" Cutlass asked.

Erich looked over his shoulder. "Yeah, why not?" He then quickly ran off for yet another battle. It's going to be a long day, he thought.

(What happened to Vecto? Didn't he go to portside to fight pirates after the first attack? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Voyage!)