Part 8.4

(Previously: Vecto destroys a building to get the attention of the Nagora Clan. Soon after, two people arrive, and Vecto says he's there to meet Shadow.)

"I'm right here," a voice said in front of Vecto.

"Where?" Chais asked instead. He was expecting to see a glossy outline of a person caused by a cloaking device, but there was no such thing.

Vecto's scans couldn't pick up anyone in front of him, either, but he saw the shadow of a person ripple across rocks. It was Shadow, all right. Not only was he manipulating light to go around him, but he bent all wavelengths, including the ones Vecto used to scan his surroundings—a trick Shadow learned some time ago.

"You left your shadow," Vecto pointed out.

"It's my calling card," Shadow's voice responded. "It gets the ladies all the time."

"Do I look like a woman to you?" Vecto cut back.

Shadow laughed. In a flash, his image appeared. Chais was startled to see that Shadow had no cloak around him, nor was his face covered up to do the trick. Instead, what he saw was a man in his forties with a receding hairline wearing black pants and a white shirt with the slogan, "If seeing is believing, then I don't exist."

Chais glanced at Vecto. "Are you sure this is him? I mean, I thought he was some kind of ninja."

"It's my day off," Shadow said. "On a date, as a matter of fact, when I saw the smoke plume." He looked at Vecto. "You gotta have some balls coming here and destroying things."

"I came to get information on Morphaal's whereabouts," Vecto cut to the point. "I found out he's likely on a planet in the innerverse called Zendora and heard that members of the Nagora Clan crashed on the planet some time ago. I'm trying to find the coordinates to the planet and thought your people may have record of it."

"Hmm, so the rumor's true that Morphaal's back," Shadow mused. "I thought we got rid of him for good."

"Same here. Now about Zendora—"

"Never heard of it," Shadow abruptly responded. "If one of our clan members landed on the planet, he never returned. We wouldn't have specifics unless we had access to the ship's logs."

"No." Vecto shook his robotic head. "Maybe they sent out their location when they crashed."

"Sorry, Vec, I just don't know."

Vecto clutched his fist. Chais picked up on this and stepped away, deciding to stay mum.

"But I have to find Zendora! I have to find Morphaal!" Vecto yelled.

(Is this another dead end for Vecto? Will he never find Zendora and Morphaal? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Voyage!)