Part 4.7

(Previously: Vecto is caught but escapes. He resumes his disguise as Robert Newman. The scene switches to Erich and friends.)

"Y-you know what's peculiar?" Trip asked Erich, who was now bundled in his covers in the other bunk.

"What?" Erich asked.

"Th-that bullet. It didn't really hurt all that much--when it hit me, I-I mean. And m-my body seemed to reject it."

"That's odd ..." Erich pondered, gazing at the ceiling. "Maybe you got some superhero power, huh?" he joked.

"Y-y-yeah right!" Trip laughed.

The humorous tone briefly blocked out Cutlass' loud snore. But the quietness perhaps enticed the snore to get louder.

"Geez, I-I'd like to put that wretched sock of his up his mouth!" Trip said.

"Now let's not be too harsh," Erich said. "I'll let you borrow a squeaky clean one instead."

Trip made another slight laugh, but stopped when his arm stung with pain. "Hey," he said, looking over to Erich's bunk. "Th-thanks for all the help back there at the plaza."

"No prob. Let's get some sleep."

Erich circled his eyes across the ceiling, following the lines of blue energy supplying power to the dome lights. People had died today in disasters beyond his control. It reminded him of his days in bounty hunter school. He had taken this journey to get away from it all--the killing, the drama, the backstabbing. He wanted to find his own path in life, to discover his own identity. And he didn't want any more of his friends dead.

Three consecutive knocks echoed in the room.

"Huh?" Erich sat up and looked at Trip, who arched an eyebrow. "This late?" He settled his feet to the cold floor and cautiously walked to the door. A panel slid out from the wall and Erich activated the door's micro cameras. Standing at the door was ... "Rob?" he whispered in disbelief.

"Y-y-you mean?" Trip quickly sat up.

Erich clicked a button to open the sliding door and, behold, Robert Newman casually strolled in.

"I need a place to stay if you don't mind," Vecto said, a bit obtrusive.

"Rob!" Erich shouted. "Is it really you? But I thought you were dead!"

"In the flesh," Vecto said, amused by the irony, as he stood by the bunk. "It appears my suit held up in space after all. And I was fortunate enough to find an open hatch to reenter the ship."

"G-g-glad you survived," Trip said.

(Everything seems to be back to normal. Or is it? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Voyage!)

Be sure to tell others about Vecto with the hashtag #WhoisVecto and if you can, please pre-order Vecto: Voyage on Amazon at http://amzn.to/1SErRma.