Part 4.9

(Previously: Erich tells Vecto that he was raised in a bounty hunter school but left because he couldn't kill.)

Vecto thought about it for a moment. Was life that precious to him?

"I'm religious, too, you know?" Erich inputted. "It just goes against what I believe."

Trip shook his head. "S-so you believe in a mysterious h-h-higher being that y-you can't see and have no proof that exists. I-It's just not logical."

"Logic is only human perception on how they perceive the universe," Erich said, staring at the lights. "Mankind has the choice to believe in God, even if proof smothers them."

"Th-the omniverse was created from the B-b-big Bang," Trip explained. "Th-the particles formed planets, wh-wh-which sparked life and led to evolution."

"And who, or what, created that Big Bang?" Erich reasoned. "And how can this omniverse--not just one universe--be so perfect from just random occurrences? Where are the other universes that failed in the evolution of this universe? And how come God, when making the universe, couldn't have created evolution?"

"Y-y-you cannot prove there's a god," Trip argued.

"Neither can you disprove it."

Vecto remained silent, observing their religious quarrel. It seemed to be a sensitive subject to these humans.

Erich continued. "Look--no hard feelings. I respect your views. It's just something I personally believe is true. The universes are just so massive and complex that there has to have been some divine touch to make it all happen."

"May I interject?" Vecto asked.

"Sure," Erich said.

"I believe Erich is correct in his assessment," Vecto said, "that out of infinite possibilities, the omniverse is at perfection. The odds for this are overwhelming and even the mightiest machine will never know the truth, as they are programmed from the knowledge of man. However, on the other hand, if there is a god, then how does he exist as we do--assuming time is straight, which may not be the case. There are simply too many mysteries that not even man is capable of understanding."

"That's what makes us human," Erich added, "finding the truth. People seem to just follow what everyone else says rather than deciding for themselves. But we each have to make up our own minds."

Vecto paused. "Indeed. Mankind is swayed too easily. Do they not develop a sense of probity for themselves? Or are they bound by their own manipulations?"

"I'd say yes and yes, but then again, doesn't that define man?" Erich replied with a smirk.

"OK, w-w-well it's getting late," Trip mentioned, alluding to how he was tired yet also trying to change the subject.

"Erich pulled covers over him and waited as it contoured to his body and warmed. "Yeah, I guess we ought'a get some sleep. Another big day tomorrow."

Trip snuggled in his covers. "G-good night then," he said.

"Goodnight, Trip," Erich said. "You, too, Rob. No tellin' when we'll stop at Hodos."

Vecto paused. Hodos, as in Gyro's homeworld? He quickly reviewed star data from when he was in space. The analysis affirmed it. They were in the Alpha Centauri System and were probably going to stop for repairs. At least he could visit Gyro's gravesite, he thought, but he no longer had Gyro's cross. He lay back in the bed and closed his eyes--although he could still see around him.

Trip found it curious that Rob was wearing his suit to bed. He dismissed the thought as his covers warmed. But just as his eyelids drooped, he heard Cutlass' obnoxious snore!

"C-c-cutlass!!" Trip yelled, astonished the pirate-wannabe could sleep through all the talking.

(What adventure will Vecto have on Hodos? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Voyage!)