Part 4.3

Vecto's in a video game--sort of. Play #WhoisVecto Mario Maker level on Wii U. ID: C814-0000-01A6-57FB.

(Previously: Erich, Trip, and Cutlass grieve the apparent death of Rob, who is really Vecto.)

Elsewhere, near the rear of the Corona, an orb glowed through the inside of the hull. Metal melted as a black object burned through it, moving the liquefied metal behind to cool and seal the hole from space. The orb slowly popped out from the wall and fell, landing in a large waste disposal carrier.

"Detecting waste products," Vecto said to himself, "classified as organic." It meant he was aboard the ship. The last thing he remembered, his systems blacked out when he was struck by the asteroid, and returned later when he slammed into a piece of debris. He recalled that he had no shields, not even his orb, but they flickered on when he hit the chunk of rock. Fortunately, he sucked enough carbon from it to propel himself toward the Corona as it was leaving.

"All systems check," Vecto said. "Operating at normal capacity." He slowly hovered in the air and scanned the room filled with crates of trash. The room had waste carriers, or twenty-foot-tall trash bins, lined against both sides of the wall and cranes that would magnetize metal from the trash and drop them into other bins for recycling. Vecto's orb rotated as he noticed trash being dumped into a waste carrier from a funnel above. A light went off indicating it was full, and the carrier began to roll across a rail system. It moved down the center aisle toward the rear as a gigantic door spiraled open to let it pass, closing behind. A whoosh of gas could be heard as the door opened back up, letting the trash bin proceed back to its respective place. Except the container was now empty, albeit gas particles fuming from it. A small crate also emerged, rolling to a center panel.

"Disintegration," Vecto noted. He then heard an elevator door chime at the front of the large room and saw a man wearing a dirty brown uniform pushing a hovering cart full of small crates in the room. Vecto quickly dropped himself back into the trash.

He could hear the cart hum to a stop, and the man moving crates murmured to himself.

"Hmm, got another one," the guy said. "Now where's my TAC."

It sounded like he fumbled through papers, then picked up the crate and put it on his cart. The man then slid the box, perhaps to align it with the others. Vecto could hear him whistle as he walked around the room, possibly to check the equipment. He soon stopped at the bin Vecto was in.

"Let's see ... now how do you work this gadget? Medium ... looks full."

Vecto quickly emitted a radio wave to distort the reading, not wanting to be taken to the disintegrator.

"Huh? Now it's empty?" the guy said to himself.

Vecto could hear him scratch his head. Then he heard a device at the side of the trash bin lower and the man stepped on what seemed to be a ladder. He must be checking it out for himself! Then he would surely send the waste carrier off!

(Will Vecto be discovered? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Voyage!)

Be sure to tell others about Vecto with the hashtag #WhoisVecto and if you can, please pre-order Vecto: Voyage on Amazon at http://amzn.to/1SErRma.