Part 8.7

(Previously: Chais tries to fight Shadow when Shadow slices a building in half.)

"OK. So you're good," Chais said. "Not as good as—"

He couldn't get the words out of his mouth when Shadow kicked him in the chest, sending him flying toward the destruction as if he was a human cannonball.

Chais crashed through the building that was sliced and ended up in a pile of debris against a wall. He stood up but several shurikens tagged his shirt and stuck him against the wall. In front of him stood Shadow.

"Hmm, your body's tougher than I thought," Shadow commented.

Chais yanked away from the wall, ripping his shirt off in the process. He stood there with a six-pack and pieces of torn clothing hanging from both arms.

"Whoa!" Shadow said. "Keep your shirt on, man! I'm only after the chicks!"

"You're ticking me off!" Chais yelled, grabbing his sword nearby and lunged at Shadow.

Shadow used his sheath to block the strikes, then struck Chais in the chest with it. Chais stumbled some more.

"Your hands aren't steady," Shadow critiqued his swordplay.

Chais swung his sword in place while detaching the blade. Shadow heard the sound of chains rattle above him. The blade struck a wall behind and Chais was reeled in by chains. As he was yanked up, he reached in his pants' pocket and tossed a bomb at Shadow.

Shadow jumped back as it exploded, shielding his face.

"Why you—" Shadow yelled. He quickly spun around and removed his katana. A slash of energy sliced the bottom half of the wall that Chais was now propped on. It caused the wall to collapse—Chais with it.

Consequently, the whole building crumbled. Shadow jumped up, slicing his way to freedom as the entire structure caved in. He forced his way through it as the final pieces settled, and he dropped down on top. There was only a heap left were the building once stood, and it buried Chais with it.

Shadow looked at his feet amidst the dust. The kid was probably dead. "You did it to yourself. I told you to leave," Shadow mumbled.

The kid almost made him lose his concentration on Vecto. He had left Vecto's orb behind—still encompassed in energy.

"Master, do you still require our presence?" a voice said. It was one of Shadow's trainees, bowing before him. Next to him was his companion.

"Did you two learn anything?" Shadow asked.

"You fight well," the other ninja said, hidden in black wraps used by the clan.

"I showed you what not to do," Shadow said, shaking his head. "He wasn't an enemy. He didn't deserve to die. Now leave me alone."

"Yes, master," the two said in unison and disappeared.

(Is this really the end of Chais and Vecto? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Voyage!)