Part 8.3

(Previously: Vecto and Chais travel to meet Shadow to find out about Zendora when Vecto has a plan and aims his gun above Chais.)

"Stay down," Vecto said, then fired the blast.

Chais dropped to his knees as the blast zipped by and struck a half-collapsed skyscraper far in the distance. He looked up see a plume of smoke and dust swell from the destroyed site.

"What in blazes you doin'!"

"Attracting the ninjas," Vecto said. He walked over to some nearby rumble and sat down. "They'll be here in a matter of minutes."

Chais watched as the smoke lifted in the air. "Good, then I get that much time to train before they ambush us for destroying things."

Chais wasn't joking. He lifted his ex-cane of a sword from the ground with both hands, extended its blade, and swung it upward against the gravity. He swung again and again, each with more force, then let the gravity send the sword crashing to the surface.

"Guess I can lose the dead weight," Chais murmured to himself.

Vecto had watched how pathetically slow Chais moved under high gravity and pondered how much assistance he'd actually be against Morphaal. But Chais eased Vecto's doubts when he removed his trench coat.

Peeling the thick coat from his body, Chais grasped it by one hand and let it drop to the surface. It sounded like a ton of weight crashing to the surface. Chais tilted his head and popped his neck, then rolled his shoulders back and popped his ribcage. More bone popping followed as Chais quickly snatched his sword from the ground, grinded it out from the surface at an angle and slashed upward in the air with it, jumping several feet in the air in the process.

Vecto was impressed by his quick turnaround. "Reminds me of my friend Phantom," he said. "He used to wear a weighted cloak."

"I blame it on all the gadgets. It can add up."

"So why didn't you take the coat off when you first got here?"

"What? And leave it behind? I would have had to carry it anyway. Besides, I wouldn't have let you carry it."

"Thanks a lot," Vecto said sarcastically. He then diverted his attention to something else as Chais took his practice swings. His Lapton map picked up two figures standing on a couple of buildings.

"Sorry to cut your training short, but they're here."

"Already? I don't see anyone."

"Oh, by the way, they can turn invisible so to speak."

"Great. Now ya warn me."

Vecto gazed at the location of a ninja on top of ruins and projected his voice to him. "I'm here to meet your leader, Shadow. I'm an old friend of his."

"I'm right here," a voice said in front of Vecto.

(How will Vecto's reunion with Shadow turn out? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Voyage!)