Part 5.3

(Previously: Dr. Azmeck and Feit find out that Vecto is on the loose and suspect he will visit Gyro's grave.)

"Ahem!" a voice echoed.

Azmeck and Feit turned around to see what appeared to be a guard approaching.

"This area is restricted for civilians," the silhouetted figure said as he approached. "You must come with me."

"But we have clearance," Azmeck reasoned. "Would you like to see my TAC?"

"I have orders to retrieve you," the man continued and grabbed his arm. "There must have been an error in granting you access."

Azmeck pulled away, feeling a sting from his grip. But when he turned to talk to Feit, the fighter had his chi gun pointed at the guard's head.

"Stay back, Azmeck," Feit ordered, holding the gun steady.

"My word! What do you think you're doing?"

"He's not a Coronan guard."

Azmeck looked at the figure and glanced at his arm.

"And neither is he human," Feit added, keeping a close eye on the figure.

Azmeck looked back at the uniformed man. "By golly! It's Vecto, isn't it?"

The man smirked and looked at Feit. "Quite observant, Feit, but I'm not here for retaliation," Vecto said, keeping his disguise in case someone passed by.

"I could tell it was you when I couldn't sense any chi," Feit said, peering over the gun's barrel. "But how do I know you're not lying?"

"Trust me," Vecto replied. "I am not as destructive as I have been. And I was never deaf while in locked stasis, so I understand Azmeck's efforts to redeem me. However, I do not have any malfunctioned programming and will no longer need assistance."

"So then why did you escape, and why are you here?" Feit questioned, stepping back to keep the gun from arm's length.

"Immobile confinement for so long can only lead to further madness," Vecto retorted. "Besides, I came to retrieve Azmeck in order to speak in private--away from you, that is--to reveal who I am, but I no longer need to do that, now do I? So please, do put away that gun, for all it takes is a touch from my shields and a gun it will be no longer."

"He's right, Feit," Azmeck agreed. "If Vecto was still mad, we wouldn't be standing."

"The past is what it is," Vecto continued. "I am aware you gave Streamline those energy shells on behalf of Leroy due to my inconsistencies. But you will no longer need them." Vecto glanced away and turned around. "If you use them, however, I will not hesitate to kill you." He began to walk off. "Good day, sir."

"You obviously underestimate me," Feit said but slowly lowered his gun. "If you slip up, I have no qualms in using force."

"Very well, then," Vecto's voice became more distant. "Azmeck, you may come along if you wish. You already know where I am going. I'll meet you at the loading bay."

"Ah, Gyro, poor lad," Azmeck said, knowing Vecto was going to visit his grave.

"You're not actually going along with that crazed machine, are you?" Feit whispered, quite loudly, to Azmeck.

"I trust he is back to normal," Dr. Azmeck said. "Don't fret; Vecto would never kill me, and I have my locater if you must assist."

"It's not wise," Feit warned.

"I can take care of myself. Just watch my lab while I'm gone, would you?" Azmeck asked as he shuffled away.

Feit shook his head and rested his hands together behind his back. "I didn't come here for a babysitting mission," he murmured to himself, hoping he'd get to fight Vecto, the one being capable of standing his own against his master Leroy. He was going to keep watch on Vecto, anyway.

(Is there a reason why Vecto is letting Dr. Azmeck come along? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Voyage!)