Chapter 45

Chapter 45

            “Two mango smoothies and a grilled cheese, am I correct?” I asked one more time, making sure I didn’t get their order wrong. My boss strictly followed the whole ‘The customer is always right’ policy and I always seemed to get on his good side. Note the sarcasm.

            “Yup.” The blond girl said paying more attention to the conversation she was having with another blond girl who looked around her age. I turned around and walked back to the counter where I handed Sandy another girl who worked at the same café I did, the order and she began to make the mango smoothies.

            It wasn’t a café last time I worked here. It was once Randy’s smoothies and it wasn’t until recently that it became Helen’s café. As long as I had a job I didn’t mind whether this place was a café or shopping mall. Not as many people came here as it was expected and I didn’t blame them because after all it was summer and this café was located close to the beach. I guess most of our customers preferred to buy their drinks and enjoy them outside instead of inside.

            The order was placed on the counter and I quickly went over to the girls who waited patiently still deep in the conversation. I smiled once they noticed me and placed the smoothies and sandwich on the table.

I walked back over to the counter and began looking into my chemistry textbook, trying to figure of where I had left of on. Once I found the spot, I continued taking my Cornell notes.

“Who’s it going?” Sandy asked, whipping thee other side of the counter with a yellow humid cloth.

“Uhm...” I looked at what I finished so far, “If I don’t sleep for the next week or two, I think I’ll pass my junior year.”

Taking my little vacation 6 months ago really did cause me to fall back half a year. I missed my final exams and a lot of homework but with the help of some of my teacher and a lot of extra credit, I managed to move my grades up a little. I was almost on track, almost.

“Don’t stress over it so much,” Sandy placed a cup filled with what looked like a raspberry lime smoothie, “On the house and by the way you do know your shift ended like ten minutes ago.”

“Shoot!” I gathered up my textbooks and placed them inside my bag, “You’re the best Sandy!”

            I was supposed to meet my mom right after work to help with the boxes that were still unpacked. We moved a month ago after finally sorting out some financial issues. The house wasn’t as big as the one before but it was just perfect for the two of us. The funny thing was the only reason my mom was meeting up with Dr. Josh was because his brother was apparently a lawyer and he was already helping my mother. So to conclude, my visit to London was really unnecessary and that made me feel like the stupidest cave man ever.

            “Anytime!” I heard Sandy yell back as I was exiting the café. I was in such I rush I didn’t notice that I was about to crash into a figure, luckily I stepped aside stopping the accident.

            “Oops, sorry.” I didn’t really bother to look up at the tall figure because I was more worried about my mom killing me for being late. I quickly continued to walk towards the train station, trying to figure out why that tall frame and scene seemed so familiar.

            I opened the door to my new and improved home, placing my bag on the couch and walking into the kitchen. We would of finished unpacking weeks ago but my mom had been busy with her new job and I was as well with my catching up to do and work.

            “Hey, I’m back and ready to unpack.” I found my mom already hanging up some kitchen decorations on the walls. She looked up at me and smiled.