Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Evers Pov

My mom managed to take a shower and pop into her waitress uniform for work. She does work on Saturdays but because of what happened she called in to ask for extra days. They denied at first but when my mom explained that she needed some money, they only agreed to offer 5 hours on Saturdays.

When she walked down back to the kitchen where I was seated still in my shorts and tank top, I could tell right away her face was paler than a ghost. She almost looked dead if it wasn’t for her movements. She only drank some apple juice and ate a granola bar. Even I can’t survive with just that. “Mom, eat a cereal, your still twenty minutes early” I said.

She didn’t even turn around from where she was standing, “No this is fine enough, I much prefer being early than late” she turned toward her shoulder bag that was hanging next to the door and rummaged through the fruit basket in search for her keys. As she searched for them I studied her very tired face, her eyes had bags that were covered with makeup, she had mascara on, her lip had a cut but was replaced my red lipstick, her hair was tied up into a tight pointy tail, and her bangs hanged lifelessly on her forehead. My mom was very beautiful and she looked so young but today she looked so sick and stressed out. When she found her keys I quickly removed my eyes of her and stared at my phone on my hand.

She looked up at me and said “Okay, there’s some left over pizza from yesterday in the fridge, I won’t take long so ill cook for dinner” she went through her bag and pulled out a twenty bill but I stood up and stopped her. She gave a very surprised look; I cleared my throat and said “Mom, no it’s fine, I work to remember. Plus I’m not that hungry today anyways. Ill cook when you come and one more thing” I slowly gave her a reassuring hug “It’s okay, don’t stress yourself.” I saw a tear run down her cheek but she quickly wiped it away “I’m sorry, I’ll try my best” she pulled away and smiled at me with her mom smile that I loved so much. She then got her phone and I walked her towards the door. I watched her until she was already at the corner of the next street, then I closed the door shut.

I took in a deep breath and studied every possible place where my mom would hide things. I put my hair in a high bun, feeling the small strands of hair plop loose. I tucked them behind my ear and opened the first drawer. I spent over 2 hours looking for any bill, financial warnings, or any other papers. But nothing that would help me. I headed towards the attic remembering how my mom would always stash away any old mail, she loved saving everything. “You never know when you might need it” she would always say. I smiled at the thought and began opening the first card book box I spotted. There were old recipes, books my mom had written but never sold, advertisements, my old birthday cards I would get from my grade school teacher. I grinned at how many I had, there were like 10 of them, all had ‘Everlin Chase’ and ‘December 4’ written on the card, with an exaggeration of stickers and smiley faces.

My smile faded as I dug deeper and spotted a bunch of letters and postcards that were tied up with a rubber band. They were all from my dad.  My hear felt uneasy as I untangled the most recent letter and read his writing: