Chapter 51: If I lose myself.

Clove's POV 

**************** 

23 February 3114 

****************

The aging woman behind the counter handed me my cup of coffee with a smile. I nodded in reply and dropped the few coins into her hand. I proceed to leave the café, when I spot Chase.

"Is this seat taken?" I ask. She removes her eyes from the window beside her and they land on me.

"Clove?" She says in suprise. "Oh do sit, do sit!"

I place my coffee on the table and sit across from her.

"Where's Cato?" I frown. "Or Izabelle, or Veronica?"

"At home. I was just at the hospital, getting my results for a scan."

"Everything's okay, right? Nothing wrong?" She asks concern clear in her face. She tucks a piece of her chestnut hair behind her ear. The rest falls to her shoulders.

"Yes." I lie. "Everything is absolutely perfect!" It's really the complete opposite.

"And Cato let you go on your own? Oh that's great, by the way!" Chase smiles. 

"We're fighting. Cato and I." 

"Do tell?" She states, but it comes out like a question.

"Yesterday morning he gave me a fright, so I digged him accidentally. I thought he was someone else. And while I was helping him wound his bleeding lip, he asked me about us, what are we now? I said there is no "us" and that whether you've noticed or not, I have amnesia, I don't even know who you are. He got pretty mad, looked like he was 'bout to hit me! Then the doorbell rang, it was my psychiatrist, you may know him, he's Maysilee's cousin; Taylor Burditt. Good looking man..."

"I'm sorry to hear about you and Cato, I'm sure it'll blow over, he adores the ground that you walk on! And he'd never, ever hit you! You'd see that in the Hunger Games!" She declares, her tone rising up.

"I know, I know, it's just all so confusin'. I don't know ninety percent of the people I'm supposed to know. I'm just, lost, I guess." I tell her honestly.

"And do you like Cato?" She asks with curiosity in her voice.

"I don't know. I can tell that's he's walking on eggshells when he talks to me. I don't know what he's really like, you know what I mean?"

"He's really a lovely guy! I swear!" I laugh at her as she places her delicate hand over her heart. I take a sip of my coffee, and I shiver as it goes down. I don't even life coffee! But after hearing what I just heard, I need it!

"Sorry hun, but did you say Taylor Burditt? Male?" Chase asks me.

"Yeah, do you know him?" I question.

"Yeah'um, unfortunately. .." she whispers.

"Why unfortunately? He's a good looker..."

"And also the reason why my parents and I haven't spoken in six years."

"What? Why?" I gasp.

"Ya know the way I moved in with my grandparents in Region Two? They're my dad's parents. They had a long fight years ago 'bout money. They don't speak. When I was eleven, Taylor was eighteen, I think. I lost my virginity to him."

"What?" I practically yell. "He wa eighteen, and you, were eleven!"

"I know Clover, I know. My father found out, he kicked me out. My mother just followed what he said. I wrote to my grandparents asking can I move in with them, they accepted, and that'swhy and where I disappeared to." She said shaking her head embarrassed.