Chapter 64: Despair

Clove's POV

* * * * * * * * *

23 July 3114

* * * * * * * * *

I have never felt this much insecurity in my life. I was never so unaware of what's going on. Cato tried to reassure me this morning,  but I don't know. Reaping day always brings fear.

I dressed Nazera in her best dress that u bought her with a bow hairband. Cato is in a red flannel shirt and jeans. He looks amazing,  but that's the last place where my attention is at.

I stand in front of the long mirror in my blue dress. It comes to my knee, has a sweetheart neckline and thick straps. I have a brown belt around my waist and brown heels on.

My hair is up in a bun with a tiny poof in the front. My fingernails and toenails are painted with white tips. I have no mqke up on, but I do have all my jewellery on.

I shimmy down the stairs and into the kitchen. "You okay babe?" Cato asks.

"I suppose, are you?"

He groans and picks yp Nazera from her highchair. He kisses the side of her fuzzy hair.

"We're meeting Roni and Kyle there, right?"

"That's what they said anyway." Cato says finishing with a laugh.

"Okay then. Will we head?" I mumble.

"Hmm? oh, yes. C'mon." he instructs me. And just like thqt, we're in the district square, lining up to get our fingers pricked. Once Cato and I are done a peacekeeper tells us to go to our areas.

I take Nazera off him He pulls me into a kiss and then just holds me. "I love you, Clo."

"I know you do. I love you too."

"I'll see you in an half an hour or so, we'll head home, yeah?" he says, trying to stay positive.

"Yeah, yes I'll see you then." he squeezes my hand and winks at me before he lets me go and disappears into the crowd. I can't even seem to find anyone.

Every single person over twelve has to be pricked and sorthed into their groups. I manage to find Clarisse though.

"Hey, hon'" she drags out. "How're you?"

"Where's Eoyn?" I asks her. "Oh and I'm fine."

"He's with Bristle, you know boys with boys." she laughs, nervously.

"Did you see Roni?"

She nods her head. "Yeah, she seemed pretty tense, she told me to tell you to stop worrying and that everything will be fine."

I laugh, that sounds like Roni. The sun is hot, scorching actually. It hits my legs, arms and shoulders and sets them on fire. Everyone can feel the heat as people fan themselves frantically.

We all stand in the male or female groups in front of the stage. The stage is beginning to crackle from the heat. There's a microphone and a stand in the middle of the stage. Two glass balls with thousands of names in them are balanced on two podiums.

The ancient Justice Building is right behind it. "Clove, calm down will you? You're making me nervous!" she snaps, but then laughs.

I rest Nazera on my hip and bounce her up and down gently. She can feel the tension. She looks around, frazzled, as if desperately searching for something.

"Easy girl, calm down Zera." I coo. Her bottom lip quivers. I know all the confusion and noise is unappealing to her and is probably giving her a headache.