Chapter 9: Ronnie's birthday

Clove's P.O.V.

Its a cold January morning. I have training today as the games are in seven months. Ronnie bursts into my room. 'Clove your boyfriend is at the door..'she laughs. 'Ronnie I don't have a boyfriend who is is?' I ask. 'it's Cato stupid' 'We are not dating' she rolls her eyes.

I run down stairs to see Cato standing at the door. 'Oh Cato come in, Ronnie you know its not nice to leave people at the door' 'Whatever'she replies and the goes into the kitchen. 'Sorry she's 13 tomorrow and already has the attitude, give me a minute' i rush upstairs put my runners on under my tracksuit, my locket and charm bracelet and some perfume.

Its not snowing, but it might as-well be it's freezing. 'What are you getting her for her birthday' he asks. 'well I was wondering if you show me where you got this bracelet, I was planning on getting her a chain...' 'Lovely I'll show you later'

We reach the training centre. We throw knives, practise archery, Cato tries to show me how to throw a spear...I almost end up hitting Zayn. We have a sword fight and I realise that he is using the sword I got him, while I'm using my engraved knife.

Zayn brings us outside and tells us to find the tallest tree we can. I find this massive one and he shoots an arrow to the tip-top of the tree and tells us to retrieve it. 'Cato, you first' he runs at the tree and manages to get quarter of the way until the branch snaps and he plummets down to the ground with a large thud. I laugh at him. Then I run at the tree and after two minutes, I have the arrow and fling it down and it almost hit Zayn. We practise climbing for a long time and its me who has to show Cato.

When were done I take a quick shower in the changing rooms and put on skinny's, a hoodie, this ugg boots and my jewellery. I follow Cato to the jewellers. 'Ah Cato, nice to see you' the jeweller sees the bracelet on my hand. 'So this is the lovely little lady the bracelet was for?' Cato nods and I blush. Don't ask me why.

'How can I help you?' "em I would like to buy an amber chain, oh yes if it has a gold chain that would be amazing'I say. He disappears into the back of the shop then comes out with a massive gold chain with an amber pendent at the end of it. 'How much?' I ask "75' Now that's a good price I thought it would be 200. I hand him the money and he puts it into a little gift-box.

For the rest of the evening Cato and I hang out in town, It was so funny. Cato walks me home and hugs me tightly. I slip on warm pj's and sit on my bed, refusing dinner. I think of the games, why will I have to volunteer for the 74th why not the 75th, It's just suicide going it cause I'm not coming out, Cato will. I soon find sleep, and dream of Cato.

'Ronnie, walk up its your birthday' Kalen screams as we walk into her room. 'Morning sunshine, aren't you getting old?' I say. Kalen gives her a hug and a kiss and a tiny box. She opens the box and its a bracelet made of shells. 'Kalen did you make this?' he nods. 'Oh My God this is Wow'she says putting it on. My mother gives her skinnys, a cute top with shoes and she slips them on.

I hug her tightly and my mother and Kalen go down stairs to make breakfast. I run into my room and get her present. When I come back she's admiring herself in the broken mirror. 'Lovely Ronnie but your missing something' I say as I slip on the chain. Her eyes go wide and she gasps. 'Clove, its my favourite stone Amber and gold my favourite oh my god, I don't know hat to say.' I smile 'You don't have to say anything'

As we eat I think of my birthday, my mother gets Ronnie a full outfit and I get a knife, which I'm playing with now under the table. Long blade, super pointy tip. I get into the clothes I was wearing yesterday and attach my knife to my belt, When we get out the door Cato is across the road in grey sweats. We walk over to him and he hands her a box. She rips it open viciously. Its a brown handbag she wanted for ages and in it is a bottle of perfume. She hugs and thanks Cato and he gives me a wink.

'Cato wanna come to the forest with us, Clove is gonna show me how to hunt' 'Is she now? I'd love to Ronnie thank you' Cato replies. 'C'mon Ronnie lets go' I say as she follow Cato and I to the stream as she was never there before. Cato helps her over the stream and then she realises she has nothing to hunt with but I came prepared.

'Clove I have nothing to hunt with..' 'Here its yours' I say handing her a deadly knife with a nasty blade. I tell her to keep it with her at all times. She nods amazed at how deadly it is. That day we get three full bags of games and she isn't a lethal killer. Unlike me. She started to cry when she killed a rabbit. Too weak.

That night Cato and I sit down by the river after dropping Ronnie home. 'Cato how did you know she wanted that bag?' 'Lucky guess' he says. "Oh well thank you so much she's delighted' 'Its ok" There was a long silence, "Clove can I ask you something' I nod "Do you think Clarice and Bristle are ever going to be a couple?' He asks. "yes I think he likes her a lot' I say honestly. 'Me too, there cute together.....like you' He says and I feel a huge blush creeping up on my cheeks. It takes everything I Have not to kiss him. "I look in his eyes to see if he's lying. He's not. 'Um thanks.' He laughs and I join in.

'Hey Clove would you like to have dinner in my house tomorrow, Clarice and Bristle will be there too, or am i still a pervert?' "No I was joking, and I would love to' I say kind of shocked, Is this a Date? KInda I guess, even though Clarice and Bristle will be there.

'Ok well I will pick you up at seven cause you dont know where I live' I nod and he pulls me into a hug. Eventually he lets go and I run home like a giddy school girl. I go straight to Ronnie's room after getting something to eat. I tell her I will need help to get ready tomorrow. She nods, she knows this is important to me. I go to bed and again I dream of me and Cato in the games.

"Clove, c'mon get up its 12pm'Ronnie says as she comes into my room. 'What I never sleep in this late'I say suprised. 'Well you do crazy things when your in love' 'Ronnie I only like him not love him' I lied. I have a cold shower and wash my hair. dry it and leave it cascade down my back in waves. Then we have a quick lunch and get back to work. I don't have to look long for what to wear as I only have two good dresses my reaping day one and this one. Its a light blue halter neck dress. Its above the knee. I put on my jewellery and some perfume. oh yeah and I also slip my pocket knife into a pocket it the dress. I put ooon my only heels and suprisingly I can walk in them brilliantly. There silver.

But Ronnie's not done she puts on a light coating of clear lipgloss and some light gold eyeshadow to bring out the gold flecks in my grey eyes. I'm ready for the first time ever in history cause when Í'm done in two minutes Cato calls.

A/N- hey so this chapter took ages to write i will upload again tomorrow and it will be the em 'date' so please please please vote fan me and comment. No one has yet guessed who Carlee is, she will be introduces before they so into the games. Please tell me wthat you think of this story to you like it love it hate it please so yeah i love ye all