Chapter 58: Realisation

Clove's POV

* * * * * * *

5 June 3114

* * * * * * *

"Who's baby is it?" Cato asks me as he pushes down on Oakley's chest to keep him alive.

We're, being Cato and his family, Roni, Enobaria and Corden, Brutus, Dalton and Leven and myself are currently in the underground tunnel system.

"Calipurnia's dead, she gave her to me. She has no other family."

I look around the basement. Rosalie is heavily bleeding and Nevaeh is whimpering lightly into Kiera. Astrel is sitting in tge corner, bawling her eyes out as she watches Cato, who has serious burn marks on him, a he tries to resuscitate Oakley.

Roni is sitting on the bench, knees pressed to her chest. Crystal tears delicately drip down her cheeks. Her right side of her face is scalded red.

Enobaria, who is slowly breathing is being comforted by Corden. He whispers gently soothing words to her.

Leven, who is half in and half out of consciousness, is being shook roughly by Brutus and Dalton cries at her feet.

I glance at Nazera, is she really mine? Can I cope with a baby? I'll be dead next month and who'll look afger her then?

Her beautiful brown, wide eyes gaze up at me. Her curly, thick black hair is entangled with debris and dirt. She's about seven months old.

"Where's Izabelle and Kalen?" I direct at Roni, my voice as hard as stone. Her eyes flicker up to meet mine.

"Clove, I'm so sorry!"

"How did they end up on the street? Izabelle with radiation burns and Kalen with a hole in his head?"

I hear a few gasps. I narrow my eyes at her, she's unable to maintain proper eye contact.

"The house fell, and, Kalen ran out, and Izabelle followed and she's illergic to whatever chemical that was, and then Kalen, he got shot in the head.

"HOW COULD YOU?" I yell at her. Nazera begins to cry. "I told you to get them into the basement, and you couldn't even do that? What kind of sister are you? Now they're dead! Well done Veronica!"

Cato wraps his arms around me and mumbles hush in my ear. I sieze up and glare hatefully at her.

"She didn't mean it!" Enobaria informs me.

I don't even bother to answer her. I push myself out of Cato's arms and secure my grip on Nazera. I limp over to the cabinet where I pull out a first aid kit.

I give it to Rosalie, and another to Brutus so he can help Leven. There's silence for about thirty seconds. All eyes are on me as I stroke Nazera's face. Her soft chocolate skin is as soft as silk.

I know nothing about her, and she knows nothing about me, yet we're forced to live together due to the present circumstances.

And that's when it hits me, Kalen and Izabelle are dead. Veran is dead. I slide down the wall and let my angry tears flow.

I'll never get to hear their voices again, I'll never get to tell them I love them. I, how can you even possibly go on when you've lost so much. I sniff loudly.

I began to scream, and my hands began to shake. I grabbed something random from beside me and flung it straight above Roni's head

She screams and ducks, covering her head with her small arms. I hear her sob loudly to herself.

"Cato, calm her down!" Enobaria hisses at Cato. Astrel, who is in a distraught state, carefully approaches me and takes Nazera off me.

Cato takes a seat next to me on the floor. He wraps his arms around me gingerly. I seem to relax.