Chapter 72: The beginning.

Clove's POV

* * * * * * * * *

07 August 3114

* * * * * * * * *

Bullet ants. I didn't know they still existed. But yet, here they are, crawling all over the five of us.

I brush down my arms quickly as the thousands of bullet ants crawl over me, stabbing me with their spiked legs. Jabbing and poking me.

Faye's panicked scream brings me back to reality. She jumps up and down, around and around to get them off.

Aloe's flailing arm hits my back and I whimper. I feel them crawling up onto my face. I begin to twitch and scratch my neck.

Get them off of me!

They crawl over my mouth and I try to smack them off. I begin to scream internally. I flail my arms and swat them away.

I feel the strong wave of tiny but strong legs crawling up and up. The black wave engulf me and my whole face. Female screams burst my ear drums.

Is this real?

Am I going to die?

Is the last breath I'll ever take?

No! I'm not going to- I try to convince myself that I'll get out of this but a surging abdominal pain catches my attention.

My baby? Is it dying?

No, it can't! Cato needs to meet his child! I can't and won't let this happen to this bundle that gives people so much joy and happiness.

The second I feel the first bite, I run. I have bo clue where I'm running to as a black sheet of ants cover my stinging eyes.

I run away from the screaming, I run away from the ant's nest that Demi fell into. I flail my arms as I run and I can feel the itch all over my body.

I push the ants out of my face and focus on where im going before they regroup.

I scream in frustration and pain, causing the wave of ants to flood my mouth.

God, I'm stupid!

I stop running and spit everything out of my mouth. The biting sensation enflames my skin and I can feel my heart beat in every part of my body.

It's only when I hear Faye's scream that I realise that I left her behind. Guilt whacks me in the face and I gulp.

I stop and clear my face. "You okay Faye?" I scream as I look for her frantically.

"Where are we going?" she cries.

"Agh!" I hiss as I double over with the pain.

"Are you okay?" she gaps. "Clove?" she begs when I don't reply to her.

"I got you!" I inform her in a panicked voice as I grab her wrist and I hear her wince. I wipe my eyes with the back of my hand and yelp with the pain.

I'm unaware if that pain is from the ants or the baby. Please be the ants.

I hear Alor scream once again but I finally realise that they have to die too, so does Faye if I want to see Cato. And if they die this way, at least I won't have to kill them, right?

"Clove! Help me!" Faye yells at me. I spin back to face her and realise that she's fallen and is in the process of being swallowed by the sea of ants.

This isn't how she deserves to go. She deserves much better.

I grab her with my other hand aswell and I haul her up with a groan. She whimpers loudly and that little sound forces me to remember that she is only twelve years old.