Chapter 2 - Hearts Collide.

Chapter 2 – Hearts Collide

 RACHEL’S P.O.V.

Parked in front of my eyes was a 2004 BMW 545i. The white paint had dulled and the windows were slightly tinted. The interior was in need of vacuuming and smelt musty, but of course I didn’t mind. The car wasn’t exactly number one on my wish list, but it was possibly the only device I had to attract some attention from Harry.

I turned my head to face my mother and still recovering from the shock of what I had been gifted. My mother raised the car keys in the air and just as I went to reach for them, she abruptly pulled them back and raised her eyebrows. Her forehead wrinkled as she slowly released her arm back down and put her hands to her sides in a state of exasperation. “Now, having the freedom of a car comes with great responsibilities –“

Before she could continue, I snatched the keys, threw my purse in the passenger seat, and felt for the electronic window opener. Ipeeked her head out of the car window – not to be too bratty – and shouted, “Thanks mum, and thanks Ali! I love you, but I’m late for school and way too excited to get this baby on the road!” Properly thanking them would have cost too much time. I knew Louis wasn't going to let me hear the end of him having to have had been waiting more than thirty minutes for me to arrive at the bus stop. Out of the seven years that Louis and I had been best friends, neither had ever been late to catch the first bus. Carpooling together during the school year had carved out to be sort of like our… tradition.

------------------------------------------

It was a dismal morning as I pulled up to an out of sorts Louis, who had his arms crossed over his stomach and red Toms vigorously punishing the dirt near the bus stop. He was trying hard to make his anger evident. The students standing next to him tuned in, watching anxiously as they expected a fight between the two of them to burst forth.

“Sorry, I’ll explain later! Are you gonna keep pouting like that or are you gonna get in my new car? I know you want to!” I teased him with a cheeky smile, and pulled my sunglasses onto the top of my head.

Louis looked off to the side, arm still crossed, and then back at me once more. He tried hard not to tilt his scowl whilst concentering on a hard stare with a dewy-eyed, grinning Rachel. After seconds of rolling his eyes, sighing, and tap-dancing on the dirt, he marched over to her car. “Only because it’s your birthday.”

He pushed his fringe to the side, pulled his bag from his shoulders and sat it in his lap. "Happy birthday by the way loser."

I chuckled and blinked slowly. "Thanks dick head." And we drove off.

------------------------------------------

"So, what have you got first period, again?" Louis asked as we both  trudged to our first class.

I rolled my eyes at being reminded that the summer was already over and we were back at school. "I've got geography with Mrs. Susan. She's going to have my head on a stick for being late. It’s only the third day of school and I’ve already got her thinking I’m some sort of sinking ship.”

"Well, hey, on the bright side, isn't Harry in Geo first period?"

I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks as a lump rose in my throat. Most girls would tell their best girl friends about their crush at school, and not be afraid to leave one detail out about their feelings on that guy. But as for me, my closest friend was Louis and not telling him just wasn't possible. So I had told him everything there was to know about Harry, mostly because that night we were at a party and I was completely wasted, but every time Louis brought him up I couldn't help but blush.