Chapter 36 - When an old friend returns

He held me tightly in his arms, making it impossible for me to let go. I felt protected and safe. His perfect jawline was sharper than it usually was and his jaw was clenched.

It was, Zayn.

 "Are you crazy! What were you doing walking around just on the streets like this? And in the rain? You could have just got killed!" Zayn exclaimed shouted holding me close to him.

I pushed him off and Zayn got up off of me. I dusted my knees off, realizing the scratches and bruises that I had on my knees and legs.

 “Yes. Yes I am crazy! I’m crazy as hell. I can’t seem to comprehend my own life and what’s going on in it. Everyone I try to help ends up hating me. After everything I do, every way I try to apologize. Nope, it all comes tearing down on me. I feel like I have no one left in this world to be with. I have no point to live. I’m broken Zayn. I’m hurting. Why didn't you just let that truck come and---"

Zayn covered my mouth with his hand before I could even finish that sentence.  "Hey! Rachel no, don’t you dare say anything like that. I'm so glad I came in just in time to save you from it. You are not crazy, I was just kidding you loser." Zayn brushed my hair out of my face, leaning in.

I gazed into his beautiful mysterious eyes, but I moved away and got up off the ground. "Thank you, for saving me. I'm sorry about that. Apparently I'm really un-grateful for things nowadays, so guess you can hate me as well along with everyone else." I bit on my lip and gathered my things that had fallen out of my bag.

 Zayn chuckled. “I don't hate you? What's wrong gotten into you? You’re acting very weird. No one hates you….although Kate may be an exception..." Zayn winked at me with a crooked smile.

 I couldn't help but laugh. "Yes, she does. But alongside her, Louis and Liam do as well."

Zayn got up off of the ground and stood beside me, helping me walk because I’m sure he noticed me limping. I smiled up at him when he linked his arm through mine.

 "Yeah, I heard about that whole conversation in the cafeteria with you and Louis. But you and Liam? What happen—oh. Did he tell you the entire story about Maria?" Zayn asked raising his eyebrow.

Zayn knew? So Liam told no one but Zayn….

Well, if he knew then there was no point in hiding anything. "Yes, he did. But how did you know?”

Zayn sighed shoving his hands into the pockets of his leather jacket. “Liam told me himself. But I promised not to tell anyone, and I had to respect that. He's my friend and if he has personal problems that he needs to vent to someone, I'm always there for him. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you about it earlier though Rach. It wasn't up to me to make that decision.

"I know. I get it, I've made that mistake before…”

Zayn smiled. "Well maybe, it's not just you. You probably needed some time with a friend and I really haven't been a good friend to you lately. So how about we go do something together today, perhaps right now?” Zayn exclaimed excitedly.

 "Right now? Don't you have anything to do with Stephanie today?" I nudged him smiling. I tried to make it appear as a joke, but I felt more uncomfortable than ever bringing up Stephanie. The way he blushed and smiled just at the mention of Stephanie’s names…I don’t know why it irritated me.

 He shook his head side to side. "Nope, not today. She's at her grandparents’ house. Meaning I have some friend time to spend with you!" Zayn nudged her back.