Frames Of The Past

Memories are bullets. Some whiz by and only spook you. Others tear you open and leave you in pieces.

The Freelancers are back. New ones replaced the old. The ones that stayed over the years were sworn to secrecy, told not to say a word about the past, the struggle they went through. The enemy they faced. The team that was attached to them. The history of the Project was hidden from all new agents.

The new Freelancer don't know how to work as a true team, how to act. They steal from each other. Lie to each other. In truth, many of them are not a team. The prefer to be lone wolves. That's going to get them killed.

But, when a certain agent starts to get curious about the Project's shadowed past, what will he uncover?

-,-,-

York sighed as he watched Carolina train. It was three in the morning, and she still hasn't stopped, not even for a break. But he has spent countless ammounts of time, watching her. She was obsessed with beating Texas. That's her only goal, now. Every single mission they went on, it was to prove to Texas that she was superior, the leader.

But, in the end, Texas always one. No matter how you look at it, Texas won.

He sat down at one of the computers, typed in a code of some kind, and was granted access to the Freelancer database. He was glad the Director wasn't watching this.... He'd be in for a lecture. He glanced around the dark, dull colored room, before looking back at the screen. He was just going to look around, maybe find something interesting to read.

And he did.

He clicked on a file reading "Ghosts," He hadn't seen the file before this.... most recent search. Had it just been moved here? He shrugged, and opened it.

He didn't even get to read the names before the screen went red, completely red. He stumbled back, startled by it. He wasn't expecting. It slowly faded, revealing that he had been kicked out of the file. "What the..." He said. He heard the door open behind him. He betted that it was the Director. "Hey, York. What's going on?" North said to him. York sighed in relief, and turned to his friend.

"So, what happened? I walked in when you freaked out," North said, walking over to stand beside York. "You won't tell anyone, right?" York asked, looking at him. "I won't," North said with a nod. Again, York looked around, checking. "I hacked into the database-" North interrupted him, saying, "You said you wouldn't do that again!" York sighed.

"I know, I know. But... I tried to get into a file I've never seen before. As soon as I opened it, the screen went red. They're hiding something from us, I just wish I knew what," York said. "You wish you knew what, York?" Carolina asked from behind them. Both of the men jumped at her sudden voice. "Were you two doing something that I should be worried about?" She asked again. "You won't tell anyone else, right?" York asked. "If it's not something important that can endanger the Project, I won't," She responded.

"I hacked into the database, found a file that I never had before, opened it, then the screen suddenly turned red, and I got kicked completely out," York explained. "So they're hiding things from us?" Carolina said. North perked up. "Exactly what I said," He said. York smiled to himself. "The title of the file was 'Ghosts'. Have any ideas?" York asked the both of them. They shrugged.

"Since it says ghosts, maybe it's... the Freelancers from before us?" North asked. "But we were always told that we were the first," Carolina argued. "They could have lied to us. Wouldn't be the first time," York muttered, which earned him a glare from Carolina, but she didn't say anything. "We can talk about it tomrrow. I think we all need a bit of sleep," North said, yawning into his hand.