One Drink, Three Days

The Director eyed the Agents, watching their movements as they stood there, swaying slightly on their feet as they looked back at each other. Nevada was given a few odd glances. He betted that they were wondering if she stole the data from the mainframe. There was a chance that she did indeed do so, but she left no footprint behind, nothing to even know that something was broke into.

Maybe she didn't break into the mainframe. Maybe the other voice in her head did so, her A.I. But he wouldn't do so without her permission, so she did it either way. It all came back to Nevada and her little habit of breaking protocols. None of them showed emotion, their faces calm and void, showing nothing of their inner thoughts. That was always their talent. The ability to appear calm even in harsh and stressful days.

It's what made them the deadly soldiers that they are. Even Colorado had that... the same void expression. It really didn't suit her personality.

Zeta suddenly appeared in front of Nevada, casting a faint glow over her features. He held his arms out, apparently trying to hide her, even though she was in no trouble. "You... will... not... harm...Neva!" His voice sounded angry. He glitched, and red flashed through him. "Z! Override, log-off!" Nevada ordered, and, automatically, her A.I. disappeared. She tore the chip out of the table, and broke it off her chain. She tossed it at the Director. It easily landed in his now outstretched hand.

He saw the slight tremble in her hand. It was probably caused by Zeta's outburst moments prior. The Director turned and left, leaving his Agents in confusion.

~,~,~

"Hey! Nev!" Iowa called from behind her friend as she ran to catch up with her. After the Director left, Nevada had hurriedly left the room in a brisk pace. She didn't say another word after Zeta's outburst, it probably left her in shock. She's never seen Zeta react like that. Not once in the... year that she's had him. Iowa was noticing changes in both him and Eta. She could understand why they were both going through the same thing -or at least she thinks it's the same thing. They are connected. They were together once, one A.I. that was split and created two.

Everything that one did, the other knew it. Everything that happened to one, it happened to the other, on different scales, most of the time.

But... his outburst was something knew, something that was unexpected. Zeta has never done that before. Yes, like the other A.I. in their familiy, they have been having minor glitches -Zeta and Eta mostly-, but none of them have suddenly had that kind of outburst for no apparent reason. And the brief color change... What was that about? Why the hell is this happening to the A.I.? It's even effecting the Freelancers that have the A.I.s.

Nevada stopped in her tracks, then turned to face her friend. "Yeah?" She asked, the tiredness present in her sage eyes. "What's wrong?" Iowa asked, noticing the hidden pain behind her eyes. "My head hurts," She responded simply. "Zeta?" Iowa asked, crossing her arms over her chest. Nevada nodded. "Do you wanna talk about it?" Iowa asked. When they were still in basic training with their Mentor, he always said that talking will help -well, most of the time anyways. They adopted this, never really sure if it actually helped, but, they know for one thing, it helps get their mind off of whatever's bothering them.

"It's just that I'm clueless. Zeta and Eta have been glitching since the day we woke up, and they are progressively getting worse. It's starting to spread to the others... Kappa, Omicron, Pi and Lambda. The affects from the six years should have already worn off. We've been up for one and a half weeks!" She said/exclaimed, brushing a loose strand of her auburn hair behind her ear.

"Remember that they are connected to our minds. They experience stress when we do. They may not feel pain just as we do, they have different receptions than us. Our introduction fight and getting pushed out of the pelican both left us exhausted, even though we didn't feel it. Remember when Chi was in your head. The moment that you started to get stressed, she started making mistakes and getting agitated with you. This could be like that," Iowa reasoned.