An Offer

A/N: For this chapter, I will be back in first person, speaking through Nevada's POV, like in Before The Storm! Some following chapters will be like this, others will be in third person. I hope this is okay!

~<><><>~

The moment we entered the city, Iowa clapped me on the shoulder, making me jump in my seat. I turned to look at her, seeing the smile on her face, and the nostalgia in her eyes. I had that same feeling as well, the sense of nostalgia. Basically, our whole career working together was spent in a city, digging up information, killing those that troubled the UNSC. It feels... like it's been forever since we really came back to any sort of city.

It's been a long time, that's for sure.

"Remember the city, Nev? The bright lights, th constant chatter of civilians on the road as we walked to our targets, or whatever we were doing at the time? It feels like such a long time ago, now. Us, as Headhunters, are just memories now. This is the first time as Freelancers that we've set foot in a city, isn't?" She asked, marveling at the city itself, smiling.

I chuckled, nodding. She basically voiced my thoughts. Which, when I think about it, is kind of creepy. But, I'd rather not think about it that way because it basically happens every single day. I should be used to it by now. Well... I am used to it, I just still find it rather creepy.

"You two seem happy back there," Michigan said, a faint chuckle in his voice as he adressed us. I just smiled, and nodded like he could see me. He was still focused forward, watching the traffic on the road. At least he's not like me. If I drive, I... don't put up with traffic. Let's just say I... find quicker routes. Yeah, let's just leave it at that, shall we?

Iowa paused for a moment, thinking about... something. I just don't know what. "Have I ever told you guys about the business man?" She said, smirking at me. I nearly choked, then shook my head, shocked that she would bring that up.

"Don't! Do not tell them!" I cried.

Montana, CO, and Alaska all turned in their seats to look at Iowa and I. "No, don't listen to Nevada. Tell us, Iowa," CO said, smiling at me as if to taunt me. I ran my thumb over my throat, smiling evily. CO smiled at me, a silent arguement going on between the two of us.

"I may not be able to make it sound as funny as it was when it happened, most;y 'cause I'm not a storyteller, but I'll try," She cleared her throat, smiling at me. I shook my head then mouthed 'I'm going to murder you'. She just continued to smile.

She cleared her throat. "Well, imagine a dark, cloudy night, the lights of the city shining brightly. Nev and I were on a training simulation as Headhunters. We were supposed to get a better feel for the city, and learn how to... quietly get anywhere we needed," Iowa purposely paused, looking at me, smiling like a madman. I shook my head, ducking my head, hiding my face from the others in the front.

I wasn't embarrasssed. I just didn't want the others to know that I was silently laughing to myself remembering that day... er, night.

"Nev and I... well, let's just say we volunteered to try a bit of roof top running. When we had volunteered, the boys, plus our mentor, looked at us like we were idiots. Which, I admit, we were. We just volunteered to possibly jump off a building to our deaths. Together. There was no pause when we volunteered. Mentor asked us who wanted to go on the roof tops, and, automatically, we volunteered," She paused, inhaling and exhaling quickly.

"Well, on one of the jumps we had to do, Nevada here jumped first, followed shortly by me. Nevada," She paused, looking at me, "went straight through a window. And onto a desk. Papers went everywhere, and the man sitting at the desk screamed. We quite literally had to knock him out," She ended the story, chuckling.