Somewhere To Stay

"My name is Ester," The woman -Ester- said, looking at each of us as we munched on our 'dinner'. I nodded, covering my mouth as I chewed. I hated it when people just looked at me while I was eating. It just made me feel so... awkward. I don't know why, but it did.

After each of us Freelancers introduced ourselves, she nodded, and left us alone, letting us finish our 'meal' in peace. I finished off my Siciliano Pane, and took a few drinks of my drink, my eyes darting around the room, unsure of what to do. The silence was rather awkward, at least for me. This is exactly why all my meals are in the cafeteria, or in my dorm.

Maybe, then it won't be so damn awkward.

CO coughed, looking at each of us, "This is rather awkward..." She said, biting her lip. I nodded, agreeing with the blonde Freelancer.

I took several more drinks of my Cafe au lait, finishing the cup. Come on, guys... I thought to myself, briefly looking at them, before directing my attention down at the empty cup. I felt their eyes on me, watching me.

"Uh... Nev... Looking at the cup won't refill it... Just to let you know..." Montana said, pausing between her words. I shifted my gaze to meet hers, a questioning look in my eyes as I did so. She just returned my gaze, occasionally shifting down to the cup, as if asking some, unknown, silent question.

"Montana, don't bother the crazy lady," CO said, smiling at me, turning to look at the girl across from her. I just arched a brow, looking at her. I heard Iowa faintly chuckle beside me.

I just shook my head, looking down again, concealing a smile that was playing at my lips.

I saw Alaska and Michigan shake their heads, rolling their eyes at our little conversation.

After a few more minutes of silence, we finished our 'meal' and stood up. Unlike most people, we didn't leave our plates on the table. We picked them up, and threw them away, for they were paper, not worth keeping. Disposable. We handed our mugs to Ester, who just accepted them, nodding her thanks

"If you wait just a few moments, I'll close shop, and I can show you to my house," Ester said from behind the counter, rinsing out one of the mugs. The six us nodded, and migrated to the door, stopping beside it, in our own little circle. I leaned against the wall, looking at the others.

CO must have seen my gaze, for she smiled at me, and said, "The crazy lady is plotting to murder each of us in our sleep," I froze, staring at her. The other burst into fits of laughter, mostly because of the way she said it.

"If any one is crazy, it would you, CO," Montana said, clapping the shorter blonde on the shoulder, smiling over at her.

"Who says I was talking about Neva?" CO replied, a smile on her face.

I shook my head, smiling.

Ester walked out from behind the counter, "Are y'all ready to leave?" She asked, looking at us, a kind smile on her face. We nodded at her, and Alaska opened the door for her. We walked out to the car, and climbed in. At least Iowa appeared civil as she entered it, this time.

I leaned against the side of the car, comfortably in my seat. Before Michigan even started the engine, I felt my eyes drifting close. Am I really that tired? I don't feel that tired... Do I?

...

I snapped awake as I felt the vehicle stop, drawing the other's attention. "You okay back there, Nevada?" Alaska asked, turning in his seat to look at me. I nodded, rubbing the sleep from eyes.

The first thing I noticed was that the bright, plasma screens and lights were much dimmer, meaning either we are away from the city a little bit, or we were in a darker part of it, with less lights.