Remember

"Can you remember exactly what happened, Agent Nevada?" The Counselor asked, pulling a chair out and taking a seat directly across from me. I knew why he was doing this, trying to figure out if I actually knew it was going to happen or not, and if anyone had said anything about it. I could understand him completely.

I shook my head, looking up at the man. I leaned back in my chair, propping my legs up on the table at an angle. My abdomen protested against the action, but I ignored the sharp pain. It would go away soon enough. "All I can remember is..." I trailed off, trying to clear the memory. He looked at me, waiting for me to continue my sentence. At least he's patient. "I don't remember much," I finished, rubbing the back of my head.

"What do you remember?" He questioned, resting his arms on the table, watching me with those dark eyes of his. I honestly don't know why the Director doesn't rely much on him. Seems like a smart guy, in my opinion. If I was in the Director's shoes, I'd certainly ask for his opinion more. But, I'm not the Director. And I don't want to be. I wouldn't be able to handle everyone working under me. I wouldn't be able to do his job. I can't be a leader, no matter what other's tell me.

"Just before it happened," I paused, trying to recreate the picure in my head, the instances before the explosion. "I remember... ticking. But no one else seemed to hear it. I don't know if it was just me, or what..." I finished, shaking my head, crossing my arms over my chest, trying to remember anything else. I ket replaying the ticking thoruhg my head, the memory of the sounds so clear it was almost scary how much I could remember before it happened, and not after.

"Ticking? Like that of a clock?" He questioned, jotting down a note on his datapad on the table in front of him. I nodded to myself, the sound replaying itself in my head, stuck almost on a permanent loop now that I was thinking about it.

"That, and... like a countdown,"

"A countdown... So you're saying there was a countdown in your head, down to when the pipes busted from behind that panel?" He asked once again. I nodded, casting a glance up at the camera as is changed positions slightly, probably from someone behind the glass behind the Counselor. Trying to get the perfect angle. I mentally rolled my eyes. This is going to be a story for the damn ages, passed down through the next generations of Freelancers, if there will be.

The Counselor looked at me, "I talked to Agent Iowa, earlier. She told me that you remained awake for a short time after the incident. Do you remember anything from then?" He asked, writing down the question with quick fingers dancing over the surface of the data pad. Knowing them, they'll probably have both audio and written out reports of this talk. Two different sources of information to make sure one or the other wasn't corrupted. A digital copy, and a written one.

I narrowed my eyes, looking down at the smooth surface of the dark steel table, the scratches on the otherwise smooth surface of it. After a few moments of silence, I shook my head. "I'm sorry, I don't," I replied, sighing, leaning back in the chair, looking up at him once again. I felt so useless, basically saying 'no' or 'I don't remember' to all the damn questions. I hate it, this feeling.

He shook his head. "It is fine, Agent. Maybe you will remember another time. For now, you are excused. If you remember anything, please come tell me," He said, pushing himself to his feet, sliding the chair across the floor. Luckily, it didn't make to much of that horrid screeching sound. I nodded at him, swinging my legs off the table, a sharp pain shooting through my abdomen once again. I shook it off, standing up. I pushed my chair back under the table.

I walked towards the door, it opening automatically as I neared it. Was I really awake moments after the incident? I can't remember a thing, other than darkness. I guess that's rather... normal, for that sort of situation. I shook my head continuing back down the hall, no particular destination in mind. Maybe the mess, maybe the training center to watch the latest training match. Forgot who was scheduled for today.