Straight To Hell (pt. 2)

I slammed against the top of what felt like a hornet, knocking all the air from my lungs. My heart was beating rapidly against my chest as I struggled to regain my breath, to stablize my heart. When I could actually breathe, I looked at what I was laying on.

It was certainly a hornet, but it was just... hovering there. Despite knowing it was a bad idea, I slowly pushed myself up, gripping some sort of metal attachent on the top of the hornet, mostly to keep my from losing my balance and falling off the side of it. I leaned forward, peering into the cockpit.

I saw a very familiar face.

"Alaska! Thank god!" I exclaimed, even though he obviously couldn't hear me. He just nodded, then motioned with one hand over to the right. I turned my head, seeing another hornet hovering in the air, with Iowa on top of it, shifting to get a better placement so she wouldn't just fall off the edge.

I could faintly see CO piloting the hornet, her hair pulled back slightly messy. Its clear that they didn't have much time to act, and I'm glad that they did this. I certainly didn't want to be a mess on the ground. Would you?

I looked at Iowa, who gave me a thumbs up, signalling that she was good. I nodded, making sure I had a good placement. This'll be the first time I've ever riden on top of a hornet. I've piloted one, and I've riden on the sides, but never... like this. I'm not sure If I like this little set up or not...

I held my pistol with one hand, holding the attachment with the other. Unless we get dropped off, I'm not sure if we can be of any assistance like this. I honestly don't know, mostly because I've never done this before. I don't know how many times I have to say that.

I nodded at Iowa, who lightly tapped the glass on the cockpit, giving CO the okay to start moving. Alaska nodded to himself, and started to move forward. It took me a minute, but I eventually became more accustomed to this... little ride. I cast a glance behind me, watching as the building fell apart, and as the other Freelancers jumped off the roof.

Hope they have a ride.

I looked forward when I heard the roar of another hornet's engine, immediately seeing the pilot heading toward us. I cursed under my breath, raising my pistol as Iowa raised her own, firing several shots, aimed at the cockpit. Several went astray, missing completely. Others hit the sides, away from the cockpit. I only saw a few actually hit the glass that protected the pilot, cracking it.

I aimed as best as I could down the sights on the pistol, trying to get the best shot that I possibly could. It was more than a challenge. Because of my... odd position, I didn't have the stability I usually had, when I was on the ground. My arm was swaying, slightly shaking. And the hornet and air pushing against us didn't help either.

I didn't wait to pull the trigger when I had the shot mostly lined up, I just simply fired. It hit the pilot's shoulder, making him take his hands off the controls. I glanced at Iowa, who quickly lined up a shot, firing three times in succession, finishing off the pilot. I just nodded to myself, watching as the hornet descended out of my sight. No longer our problem.

I scanned the highway to the side of us, watching for the other Freelancers, maybe a second team or something. I couldn't see anyone that I knew, just civilians who were watching us, almost all of them worried, or maybe I should say scared -terrified? I can't blame them. If I was a civilian watching this whole thing go down, or even being effected by it, I could be hiding in my house -or apartment- probably hiding in the cover, rocking back and forth.

Maybe not that, exactly, but I think you get my point.

I'd probably terrified as hell, knowing that this was happening in the city that I was living in. Even worse if I knew that a building exploded and shattered to pieces. Wouldn't you be? Honestly?